Chapter 18

I was on my third patient at work when I noticed Hannah wasn't coming. Could I blame her though? She needed time to rest, to think. She texted me her apology and I was thankful for even that. At least she wasn't shutting me out again. 

"Laken dear can you get me my purse?" 

I smiled at Mrs. Swanson and got up to retrieve her purse from the China cabinet she randomly had in her living room. 

"Thank you dear. Mr. Banks is coming by later to see me. I've got to look my best." She winked at me flirtatiously. 

Mrs. Swanson lost her husband five years ago but she amazed me still. She had lost the love of her life and survived leukemia on her own. She deserved happiness in whatever form she could get. Why live the rest of her life alone? We all need companionship. 

"I was wondering why you looked twenty years younger today. You look extremely gorgeous Mrs. Swanson." 

"Awwww," she giggled while pulling out her pink lipstick from the purse. She raised the stick in the air once she finished using it. "This is every girl’s weapon. Any girl can cause a man to go weak at the knees with the right lipstick."

I was sure back in her day that was true but now a days guys were too dumb to notice the simple things we do to get their attention. 

"Well go easy on him. He's going to need help getting back up." Old age did that to people. 

She giggled again like a school girl making me laugh as well. I hope I stay that young forever. 

I felt my phone vibrate and I scrambled to rip it out of my pocket. "Hello?"

"Oh honey I'm so glad you answered." I recognized my mother's voice without having to look at the ID. 

"Yeah what's up mom?"

"Caleb's school called. They held him after class for misbehaving. I would go personally but I'm quite busy. Honey do you think you could go get him?" She sounded desperate. 

"Misbehaving?" That was hard to believe. Caleb was a complete angel. 

"Yes. I know. Do you think you can go?" 

"Yes of course. I'm on my way." I hung up and grabbed my bag. "Alright that should be it. I'll see you soon Mrs. Swanson. 

"Alright dear. Wish me luck on my date."

I winked. "You don't need it."

I drove in a rush because it sounded urgent. Technically school was let out an hour ago. Poor kid was probably homesick. I remembered I hated staying at school longer than necessary. I was still in my purple scrubs when I entered the eerie abandoned school. Man, everyone was gone. It looked like a ghost town, no person in sight.

Ok this was bizarre and seriously creepy. It brought flashback of my younger school days that I disliked with a passion. School years were not my fondest moments. Even the front desk lady was nowhere to be found. Good thing I already knew where Caleb's classroom was. I had a lunch date with him a few times so I didn't have to roam the halls aimlessly. 

I walked into the classroom and was a little shocked to see a new teacher. A substitute perhaps. Caleb was in a desk with his backpack lying on top. He smiled nervously once he spotted me. 

"Laken!" His sweet voice shouted like I was his lifesaver. 

School was prison for me too, buddy. 

"I'm here baby. I'll take you home as soon as I talk to your teacher." I reassured him before turning to give his semi decent looking teacher the death stare. "What is this all about?"