Chapter 9

Work was pretty brutal but I guess that's because I was way too tired to function. It's been a lot harder for me to sleep lately and I don't even know why. I wasn't having nightmares or anything, actually I don't dream at all anymore. I was just restless. Whatever the case it was extremely annoying. When I walked into the house after the long hours of work I noticed Rob getting ready to leave.

"Where are you going?" It was eight at night.

Rob had his backpack in his hands also. I was positive he didn't have any night classes.

"I'm meeting up with a friend. We're gonna studying and go over some homework."

It had been a while since we actually hung out. He was always busy studying and I was always out working or fighting off the spawns of the devil.

"How about I go with you?" He gave me a strange look. "We'll get coffee and just caught up before your friend gets there."

"Why?" His significant raised brow was questioning my interest.

"Because I miss you." I said honestly and innocently.

He smiled and then nodded. "Yeah sure. She said she's going to be a little late anyway."

"Uuuuuwwwwww," I teased. "She's a girl."

Rob rolled his eyes and didn't comment back. I took my motorcycle and followed behind Rob's Mercedes. We ended up at the small cafe where I first met Cal and it totally gave me the creeps. I was constantly on the look out just waiting for that walking tormentor to appear.

"Are you looking for someone?" Rob asked from across the table.

I was ridiculous. "Yeah my imaginary friend."

Rob narrowed his eyes and started at me like I was talking crazy. I guess I have outgrown imaginary friends.

"You know I do think I saw the tooth fairy around here. Maybe I can ask her if she's seen your friend." Rob was just indulging in my stupid theatrics.

"Yeah, yeah, so how have you been? How's school?" I never got the time to sit down with him and talk about his classes. I was pretty curious too.

Rob scratched the back of his head hesitantly. "It's been rough. I have all these new subjects and statistics thrown at me and its getting hard. You have no idea how killer these tests can be."

I felt sorry for him. He also had all this pressure on him. "At least you're passing."

He chuckled. "Barely."

I knew it was hard on him; going to school full time was not easy. We had his back regardless.

"Rob we love you. No matter what you do or what you become we always have your back. Don't stress yourself out because of us, because the pressure you feel like you're under. We'll love you with or without a degree."

"You say that now, just remember this conversation when I fail college." He was half joking.

I never really realized how much he beat himself up over this. This was new to me. I had no idea the pressure Rob put on himself.

"Rob, you'll do fine."

He leaned back into his chair. "That's easier said."

Where was all this coming from? Why didn't I see this desperate cry before? As soon as I wanted to open my mouth a blonde chick sat at our table. She was beautiful like that annoying natural beauty that makes average girls like me look ugly.

"Hey Rob," she greeted then turned to me. "I'm Ariel."

She looked more like a Barbie to me. I mentally crack myself up.