Chapter 30

Aria's POV

Devan shut the door behind himself, strolling further into my office.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" I choked out, standing up from my seat.

"Is it a crime for me to visit my wife at work?" He smiled at me but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

It was then that I actually took a good look at him. He had bags underneath his eyes, which were bloodshot, and his always neatly combed hair was tousled. His usually clean shaven jaw now had a growing beard on it, evidence that he hadn't been taking care of himself.

"Devan-" I began, only to be interrupted by him.

"No!" His fist slammed down on my table, making me and everything also jump from the force. "You were married to me, not him!"

I slowly advanced towards him, ready to jump back at any moment. "I was married to you, Devan."

"You're pregnant with his child!" He turned and punched a hole in the wall, leaving plaster on my floor.

"Calm down." I told him as calmly as I could, trying to hide my fear.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" Blood ran down his knuckles as he rubbed his eyes, leaning his back against the wall.

"Devan, please." I begged him, placing a hand on each of his shoulders. I was shaking, tears streaming down my face. I had done this to him. He was like this because of me.

"Oh god, Aria, don't cry." He finally looked at me, brushing a tear away from my cheek. "Please don't cry."

I stepped away from him, falling into a chair as sobs shook my body.

His fingers lightly lifted up my chin, forcing me to look at him. "I'm sorry, please don't cry. I hate seeing you cry. I'll leave, just please stop crying."

He grabbed my bottle of water from the desk, unscrewing it and handing it to me.

"I'm sorry. I promise I won't come back." He planted a light kiss on my lips, catching me by surprise. I froze in shock, my mouth open.

My office door flew open, security guards streaming in, guns poised, ready to shoot.

"Miss Kahn, are you okay?" One of them barked, his gun focused on Devan.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I hugged my abdomen, trying to control my tears. Runny mascara was not a good look.

"Sir! Step away from the lady and put your hands up where I can see them!" The same officer commanded, slowly advancing towards Devan.

Devan planted a light kiss on my cheek, whispering the last words I would expect into my ear. "I love you, Aria."

I sat frozen in shock as he was led away in handcuffs. I could feel Thayer wrapping his arms around me, but it was all a haze.

My gut clenched, bike riding in my throat. Devan just said he loved me. Why would he? I searched for the signs. Could it be when he brought me flowers every night, the mansion that we would never live in, the endless flirting? Should I have noticed? Should I have known?

None of this made sense. He had known I would divorce him as soon as I could. But would he let me go early now? Or would my child have to be born out of wedlock, or the correct wedlock, again?

I was snapped back to reality as Angelo's intoxicating scent filled my lungs. I collapsed into his chest, clutching onto his jacket.

"Did he hurt you, cara mia?" Angelo whispered into my hair, tightening his arms around me. I immediately relaxed in his grip, knowing nothing could hurt me as long as he was here.

"N-no." I choked out, holding onto him for dear life.

"Okay, baby. I love you and I will always protect you." His words rang in my ears, the same words that Devan had said only moments ago.

-----------------------------
A/N

It's super short, I know. Sorry about that.

Anyways, anybody as excited about the holidays as I am? :):):)))))

Also, I've started Spencer's story, if you want to go check it out. It's called The Devil is Blonde

Love y'all,

IIM_ForeverII