Chapter 26

Aria's POV

I glared at him. The audacity of this dick! I turned back to the minister.

"I do!" I didn't wait for him to even grant me permission, I just kissed Devan. He gently placed a hand on each of my hips. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

I pulled away after a few seconds and quirked an eyebrow at Dylan, challenging him to do something. I tried to ignore the slight fear of Dylan in my heart, which had stayed there ever since that day at my apartment.

"You can't marry him!" Dylan declared, not realizing that his outburst would be posted on every magazine cover across the world within a week.

"I just did." I gave him an icy glare.

"I love you, Aria! Much more than he can and will!"

"No! You don't! You never did!" As I said the words, I realized they were absolutely true. What Dylan and I had wasn't love.

It was only a few seconds into our staring competition when two of the security guards came and dragged Dylan out of the room.
I fell against Devan's chest, breathing rapidly. He tightened his grip around my waist and held me. There was pin drop silence in the room, everyone waiting for a next move. My next move.

I instead searched for Darla and had a visual conversation with her. She nodded in understanding and indicated for me to kiss Devan again. I followed her directions and pressed my lips against his, softly.

After a few seconds I pulled away again, this time to the hoots and cheers of our audience.
*
I leaned against Devan's chest, closing my eyes and letting him sway me in our first dance as husband and wife at our glamorous beach reception.

It had been a long day, and the fact that my heels looked sexy didn't make them any more comfortable. I knew I had to confront Dylan about what happened at the church, much to my distaste. But the truth was that I needed closure, we needed closure.

Still, the moment was almost perfect, the gentle breeze from the ocean whistling through my hair, the soft music playing in the background, Devan's Paco Robanne cologne filling my lungs, the smiles and awws our audience.

Almost perfect.

The fact that it wasn't Angelo's chest I was leaning against, the fact that it wasn't Angelo's musk I was inhaling, the fact that it wasn't Angelo's family watching us, was gnawing at my heart. The pain escalated with every second, and I wondered if my entire body would soon be consumed with longing.

I slowly opened my eyes, forcing myself to kiss my husband again, just to put on a show for the photographers and onlookers. I ran my eyes across the crowd once, and had to do a double take.

Luca? I blinked a few times and looked again, making sure I wasn't seeing things. Yet, there he was.

He raised his hand and indicated for me to meet him by the other end of the beach. I gave a slight nod, showing him my understanding. I turned back to Devan and anxiously waited for our dance to be over, Luca's retreating form in my peripheral.

After an agonizingly long minute, Devan and I broke apart. I smiled and did my best to make a stealthy getaway, greeting random guests to make it look like I wasn't running from my own wedding reception. When I was certain nobody's attention was on me, I made a run for it.

Well, as much as one can run in six inch heels.

I eventually made it to the tree Luca was leaned against, out of breath and holding up the trail of my dress.

"Hey, Luca." I leaned my back against the tree tried to catch my breath. He stood next to me, dressed in a perfectly tailored black Armani tux with a white button-up.

"Hey." He ran a hand through his hair. "So, you're married now." He stated awkwardly.

I tried to keep my voice from trembling. "Yup." I replied, popping the P, my voice reaching an octave higher.

"Why? What the fuck happened?" He grumbled in frustration, tugging at his hair. His calm, cool demeanor was gone and I could see how confused he was.

I couldn't keep the plastic smile on my face anymore. I broke down and fell against his chest, clutching his jacket. Tears streamed down my face, ruining my impeccable make up. Luca silently wrapped his arms around my waist and held me, his face buried in my hair. "I want him, Luca, so badly." I sobbed into his chest. This was my second breakdown since the news of my marriage, and the sight of Luca had rekindled the ache in my chest. The one I had been trying so hard to ignore.

"What happened? Did he do something? He fucked up, didn't he? He's such a bloody idiot." Luca rambled, trying to find an explanation for Angelo and my breakup.

Despite my obvious unfortunate predicament, I had to give a little laugh. "No, no he didn't."

"Then what?" He murmured against my hair softly.

"It was an arranged marriage. I had to." I admitted.

"Arranged marriage? We're in the twenty-first century. I didn't even know that happened anymore." Luca stated skeptically.

"Yeah. Neither did I." I pulled away from him and tried to wipe away black tears. "Is-is he okay?" I asked Luca in a soft voice, trying to suppress more tears.

Luca ran a hand through his hair, messing it up even more. "No, no he's not." I felt my heart shattering a bit with each of his words. "I've never seen him like this, Aria. He's buried himself in mountains of works and new acquisitions for his real estate company. And when he's not working, he's in the gym." He sighed, his eyes filling with sadness. "He never even talks to anyone anymore and his secretary told me that he's snapping at all of his business associates. He won't even talk to Valentina, and they were always so close. He used to tell her everything."

I bit down on my lip. "Tell him I love him. Please. Tell him that I'm still here and we can still go out for coffee or something whenever he's in town."

Luca nodded and was about to say something when his eyes fell on someone behind me. I turned around, my eyes locking with Devan's.

"Aria?" He raised an eyebrow at me questioningly.

I felt Luca's hand gently on my arm. I turned to meet his gaze. "I'll tell him. See you later, Aria."

He turned and walked towards the parking lot. When he was out of earshot, Devan spoke up. "

"Have you been crying?" He asked incredulously.

"No, Devan, I haven't. Which is why there are tears and mascara all over my face." I snapped sarcastically. In reality, he hadn't done anything wrong, but I was upset and pissed by Angelo's current condition.

"Sorry." He muttered softly and turned away, hurt in his eyes.

I felt a pang of guilt. "Look, Devan ,I didn't mean to sound like such a bitch. I'm sorry."

He looked back up to me, but kept his expression blank. "People are wondering where you went."

"Oh, okay. Let's go back." I started towards the reception and Devan stood next to me, my arm looped through his.

I plastered my plastic smile on once again. I can do this.

For Angelo.