Chapter 31

The house that will be mentioned later on in the chapter. So freaking gorgeous...-->
___________________
Aria's POV

I sighed, stepping out of the courtroom. Devan and I had just gotten divorced, and I was more upset than I thought I would be.

I felt so insensitive, so heartless. How could I have not realized that he developed feelings for me? I hope I hadn't led him on.

I stumbled to my car, revving the engine, and sat in the parking lot, not making any effort to move.

I pushed Devan out of my mind and dialed Angelo. He would know what to do.

"Cara mia?" His voice soothed me, calming my nerves.

"I need you back here, tesoro." I mumbled, resting my head on the steering wheel.

"I want to be with you, love. I'm so sorry. I wish I could be there for you." He said with remorse.

"I just- I don't know what to do, Ang." I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I didn't tell him what Devan said, and I wasn't really planning on it either.

"It'll be okay, babe. Listen, I'm leaving New York tomorrow, I'll see you in a few, love." I could hear him talking to his assistant in the background.

"Okay. Love you." I hung up and fell back against the seat.

After forty minutes of staring in to space, I finally found the energy to drive home. I wished Ang could be with me. He was supposed to be with me, but no. He was out chasing investments on the other side of the country.

"Guess it's just me and you, little one." I smiled at the thought of a little life growing inside of me. I knew labor would hurt like a bitch, but it would be worth it.

I received a growl from the pit of my stomach in response. I chuckled and dialed for a pizza. I guess baby was hungry, too.

*
For the third night in a row, I lay down on a cold bed. Emptiness surrounded me as I thought about Angelo's absence. This wasn't fair. He should be here, experiencing my pregnancy with me. No call could replace the fact that he was choosing work over me.

It might've been pregnancy hormones, but tears began streaming down my cheeks. I cried myself to sleep, hugging my abdomen.

The next morning I woke up to the sound of noise coming from downstairs. I grabbed the gun in my nightstand and gripped it tightly, trying to keep my breath even as I silently crept to the bottom floor.

My heart pounded in my head as I aimed my gun straight at a tall figure in my kitchen, flipping on the lights.

"Angelo? What the hell?" I dropped the gun on the floor and ran towards him, jumping on his frame.

I felt his chest vibrate with a chuckle as he kissed my head, setting me down on the kitchen counter. "Hello, to you, too, love."

"I missed you, Ang." I lifted my head and looked at him, tracing a finger along his sharp jaw.

"You've been crying." He stated. Sadness filled his eyes as he brushed the pad of his thumb against my cheek.

"I'm fine." I turned away from him, biting down on my lip.

"Don't lie to me." He held my chin and lifted it up to meet his gaze. "I made a promise to you, baby. I would never let anyone hurt you."

I sighed and just pulled his face down to mine, kissing him, hard. He gently removed my hands from his neck, placing them on his chest instead.

"Baby, please." He whispered, his voice low and rough.

I give up. "I just needed you here, Ang. And you weren't." I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them.

"I'm so sorry, my love." He kissed my forehead repeatedly, hugging me tight against him. "I'm so sorry."

It was my turn to push him away this time. "Angelo, I can't do this. I can't have you jetting off to another part of the world, away from me and the baby. It doesn't work like that."

"Aria, I-" He began, intertwining out fingers.

"No, I know you're sorry. I am too. But you have to choose now. I will go wherever you want me to, tesoro, and you know that. But our child needs a stable home, a stable life." I told him, releasing the thoughts I've been having since he left.

"And you're completely right." He planted a soft kiss on my lips. "I wanted to go house shopping today and made an appointment with my real estate agent. I will give you everything, just ask. I love you, baby, so much. I can't even explain it."

"Then show me." I bit down on my lip, playing with the buttons on his shirt.

*

After an excessive amount of making love, Angelo and I got dressed and went to go meet his real estate agent. I sort of knew what's I had in mind, and I knew that I would know the right house when I saw it.

The only thing that upset me was leaving my penthouse. I had designed everything from the floor plan to the color of granite on the kitchen counter. No mansion could replace it, but some sacrifices had to be made.

A few minutes later we pulled up to a beautiful villa on the outskirts of Santa Monica. I stepped out of the car in awe, trying to drink in every detail of this place. The Spanish stucco structure stood tall and proud with a perfectly manicured lawn surrounding it. I could feel a breeze on my bare arms, evidence that we were on the coast. I moved forward to the grand entryway, pushing open the massive doors. They gave way to a tiled foyer, with soaring ceilings and a magnificent chandelier. I was falling deeper and deeper in love with this house.

Two curving staircases sat on each side of the marble fountain in the center, right below the chandelier. I walked further into the house, finding myself in the area between the formal living and kitchen. I trailed a hand across the countertop, padding farther to the floor-to-ceiling windows, which overlooked the backyard. I pressed my hands against the smooth glass, gasping I awe as I saw a built in gazebo with a bar, and, a floor underneath, a massive in ground pool.

"Ang?" For the first time since we arrived here I searched for him. He was leaning against the kitchen countertop talking to an elderly woman, who I assumed was the agent.

"You like it?" He raised an eyebrow, smiling at me.

"It's the one." I whispered breathily. I could picture Ang and Nick here, running around with the baby. I could picture myself In the kitchen cooking and scolding the kids, while our families sat in the living room, chatting and laughing while drinking aged wine.

"You haven't even seen the rest of it?" The agent gave me a weird look, cocking her head.

"No. It's perfect." I sighed with happiness, already imagining the furniture I would put in. "What about you, Ang? You like it?"

"I'm buying it. It's beautiful." He came up behind me, hugging my waist and gently kissing my neck. "Just like you."

"Stop being such a flirt."