40 ~ The Snape Residence

Ivy and ferns grew through the crevices of the old winding stone path, which led directly to the colossal structure. The mansion loomed proudly behind creaky iron gates, flanked by rows of skeletal trees crowned in emerald green, swaying gently to the cooling summer breeze.  It was two stories high and had a one story extension at the rear for the kitchen. The wooden framed sash windows were propped open with sticks and the brick work, perhaps once a jaunty yellow, looked dirty. A small rose garden had been planted in front, and although it had obviously once been carefully planned and loved, it was now riddled with weeds. Severus smiled weakly and pointed to the small garden, "Do you remember when you planted that? You made them red roses just to spite mother." Silver nodded, but remained to show no emotion as she simply walked through it. 

The twins walked into the house through the large oak doors emitting them to the entrance hall. The wandered around their familiar family home with wooden panels along the corridors, ornate chandeliers hanging over head. The stairs led down into a tall galleried room with a rug spread out over flagstones and a fireplace big enough to park a car in. A long polished wooden table had been set for four. A stern cold looking woman was sat at the head of the table, beside her was a grumpy, sombre man. His eyes were glued on the doorway, awaiting the arrival of his children.

"Good evening, Silver, Severus." His voice rose, sending waves of icicles their way. Severus shivered under his gaze, whilst Silver remained unfazed. "Silver, you look different. Better." Said their mother as she gestured for the twins to come and take a seat. Silver nodded and sat beside Severus, silently looking down at the table. A house-elf, much shorter in stature than humans, standing only about 3 and a half feet entered the room. She had large, tennis-ball-like grey eyes, a pencil-like nose and long, bat-like pointed ears. Her skin appeared to have a faded pink hugh. Her ears perked up and her eyes brightened as she spotted Silver sitting at the table, "Miss Silver, Master Severus! Welcome home." She said chirpily, but soon her ears drooped back to their sad state when seeing the change in her hair and eyes.

"Trixie! Do not disturb the children while we are waiting for the food!" The twins mother roared. The house elf nodded and slowly retreated back into the kitchen. Moments later, Trixie returned with four plates of food, Severus thanked her whilst the others remained silent. "Severus, why don't you go ahead and go upstairs. I just want to have a chat with Silver alone." Their mother grinned wickedly, Severus reluctantly got up and wandered up the stairs, stopping half way up to listen in. 

He heard mumbles and whispers soon followed by the sound of a hard hit. Severus rushed back down the stairs and bolted into the dining room. Silver lay on the floor, blood seeping beneath her skin, ribs fractured. She lay motionless, not letting out a yell nor a whimper, his mother stood above her with a sinister smirk across her face. "Mother, stop!" Severus demanded as he slammed his hand down on the table. He dropped to Silvers side and pulled her head onto his lap. "Severus, don't. I deserve it." Silver's voice was croaky and cracked, riddled with pain. Severus shook his head and held onto her. Their mother pushed Snape away into their fathers grip.

"Yes, you're right. You do deserve it, you're a selfish and deceitful child, who deserves everything she's getting." In seconds she had wound her fingers into Silver's hair and shoved her face into the marble floor over and over until her blood splattered the high-end walls and floors alike. Severus letting out screams with every hit causing their father to punch him in the stomach. "Severus, take her to her room. It's not as fun when she's not conscious to feel it." Severus ripped away from his father's grip and pulled the girl into his arms. "It's okay Silver, you're okay." He said as he scooped her up in his arms and carried her up the stairs ad fast as he could. He lay the girl down on her bed with tears streaming down his face as he tried to wipe the blood from her.