Aftermath

Ethan looked at Odette. Truly looked at her. He saw her bloodshot eyes with sadness packed suitcases beneath them. He knew the bags were from lack of sleep. He wished she'd sleep more. He knew it was hard on her. He couldn't imagine what she was going through, but he was trying to help.

Her face looked more sunken in than normal. He worried she was restricting again, he never would have guessed that she was grief-fasting, he didn't even know that was a thing. Her hands seemed to shake constantly. She was sleeping with fans on and bathing in cold water too. Anything to burn extra calories.

She sat in front of him, in black stovepipe jeans that before Betsy's death were perfectly too tight, they currently hung low on her too small hips. Her fingers fiddled with her water bottle. She was looking everywhere but at him. He had taken off work for her, wanting to

accompany her back home for the funeral.

"Are you excited to go back to your hometown?" He asked with an inner wince, he wanted to cheer her up, but he worried he reminded her of her reason for returning.

Her distant eyes flickered to Ethan in acknowledgment. "Not really. I miss aspects of hummingbird valley, but other parts I dread seeing again." She said quietly.

"What parts did you miss?" He probed in an attempt to keep her positive.

"The weather. It was always perfect cool enough for cardigans, cuddling with blankets, and a warm cup of tea. Yet warm enough that you could traverse outside and never become uncomfortable."

She paused with musing, "I hate the people though. I can only stand a third of my family and even then it's only in brevity."

She sounded flat, monotone. He wanted to make things better. He was at a loss on ways to help.

"I'll be there." He said moving to sit next to her, wrapping an arm around her bony cold shoulders.

"It'll be a better place with me around, I promise." He comfortingly added.

"Wherever you are is always the best place." She said, setting her head on his shoulder. It gave him hope that he could help.