That Infamous Night

Ethan sat on the too tall stool next to Xanas'. He was half tuned in to her nasally voice, he was already prepared to console her, everything about her currently screamed her unpleasant regard for the quirky coffeehouse.

He didn't care that she thought they were too good for such a place.

Ethan was very particular about how he liked his coffee and after he accidentally sipped his costars black coffee on set earlier that day he had to see the cafe where they created such a perfect cup of his favorite delicacy.

He had been informed to ask for "Odette", who, because she was staying with the owners in the loft above the store, would most definitely be there.

He was intrigued by the concept of a cafe which also had an outdoor hookah lounge and a karaoke stage. From what he could tell from mere observations they sold alcohol, but none of the guests got too rowdy for fear of interrupting one of the political debates in the corner or a match of one of the games stacked on a bookshelf across from a case housing actual books.

All of the customers seemed well acquainted with one other, yet the atmosphere did not leave him feeling out of place.

Even the aroma of the store smelled perfect to him, like cigarettes, old book pages and freshly ground coffee beans.

He secretly hoped the smell would stick to his blue sweater.

He was so taken with everything in the cozy building that he almost didn't notice her. But once he had looked over to a different corner in order to chase the tinkling of laughter that danced along his eardrums, he couldn't imagine not taking note of her.

He was only able to take a limited appraisal of her appearance from across the dimly lit cafe.

She seemed frail, almost. Delicate yet tough. He had been living in LA long enough that he knew the edge of her showing bones was not natural. Normally it would have disgusted him, but with her it was different. Instead of hating the fact that people were willing to slowly kill themselves via wasting away, he wanted to comfort her.

He wasn't sure what exactly it was that endeared her to him, maybe her ugly cardigan that was worn thin yet clearly loved. Or her matronly spectacles. He was shocked to discover that he found her properly clothed body more enchanting than he ever found Xanas' naked form.

There was just something about this mysterious girl that made him swell with the aching need to speak to her. He wanted to know everything about her. The unique little things that shaped her personality. He wanted to adore the facets that annoyed others.

It was then as she made her way behind the counter and slid an apron upon her slight frame, that he decided to purchase the cup of coffee he came for.

Her back was towards him by the time he reached the counter. She was talking to another girl behind the counter about "drowning in heartache and whiskey", he figured she was recently involved in a breakup, and he liked her style. Not many of the girls he knew drank whiskey.

The burly blonde turned to her and said "Well Odette, how does your future look sans the monster?"