Pleasant Morning

By the time Odette awakens from her slumber Ethan is already up. He is sitting next to her reading the book he first saw her with that night at Tic Tak Joe's. It's a paperback compilation of Lord Byron's writing. The book is all marked up on the inside, thin lines of black ink scarring the pages, highlighting her favorite lines. Corners have words of reaction scribbled on them.

Ethan smiles and acknowledges her newfound consciousness with a mumbled "Morning beautiful." her strokes her face pushing her hair behind her ear before he turns the page. "Rivetied by the Lords' love letters are we?" she says with a fake british accent. She doesn't know what possessed her to do it and a faint blush of embarrassment begins to color her cheeks.

Ethan chuckles and says "Aye." with a scottish accent and suddenly all is well again. She forgets about the sadness and everything else fades away too. It's just her and her boyfriend who is reading her favorite book and laughing with her, in the house she was brought up in, in her hometown with its beautiful weather, with easy breezes that feel just like their love.

He bends down and kisses her forehead and then her lips. She sits up and kisses his cheek in return. She smiles and says "I'm glad I didn't wake you last night." before she snuggles in closer. "Why would you have woken me?" he asks.

She pauses and then says "I was tempted to do something self destructive, but then decided I didn't want the first time we have sex to be like that."

"I don't want it to be that way either." he reveals with a smile. He sits his head on her head which is resting on his shoulder, then he begins to read to her, until her mother calls up to them saying breakfast is ready.