chapter thirty-seven

[name] attempted to bury the memory into the deepest, darkest part of her brain. she shudders at the thought of it again, but does her best to forget about it.

she slept the embarrassment off, and became the first to wake up. it was still dark out, and [name] checks the time to see it was still four in the morning. going back to sleep seemed like a waste of time, so she decided to get up and do her morning routine before the bathrooms were crowded.

soon, the sun started to rise. the dark blue sky turned into a gorgeous red and orange as the morning arrived. [name], already dressed in her pe uniform for the day's training, leaned on a window in the hallway to watch.

it was mesmerising. even more so than the view from her balcony back in musutafu.

"you're up early."

the stoic voice belonged to none other than her childhood friend. he was fresh out of the shower, as shown by his wet hair and the towel around his shoulders, wearing a plain white shirt and shorts, presumably before changing into his own uniform.

ah, he's so pretty even when he's not trying.

"i could say the same for you."

he took position beside her, their arms a mere inch away from each other. "i went to bed early," he answers.

staring at his face as he watched the sunrise with her, she remembers the view from last night, when she saw thirteen shirtless teenage boys, and one of them was right next to her. she turns crimson once more, before looking away. todoroki notices her discomfort.

"are you okay?" people seemed to ask her that a lot.

"y-yeah," she mutters, inwardly cursing herself for stuttering.

he leans toward her, noticing her flushed demeanor. being the dense well-meaning person that he is, he feels her forehead with the back of his right hand. "you seem to be burning up. are you sure you're feeling alright?"

[name] flinches a little at the sudden touch of his cold side, turning a darker red as she saw how close his face was with hers.

goddammit [name], why the hell are you so nervous? she thought she never felt more flustered in her entire life.

with an awkward grin on her face, she backs away an inch or so waving her hands in front of her in denial. "ahaha, i'm alright! j-just a little cold."

todoroki gives a knowing chuckle after realizing that she was in fact, flustered as hell, and not having a hundred degree fever. "sorry. i'll go get dressed."

as he took his leave back to the boys room, [name] fell deep in thought. why was she so red and nervous, like a shoujo manga main character?

she wasn't like one of those sickeningly lovesick people that give you secondhand embarrassment with every moment they spend with the person they like. no, she was the strong shounen manga main character that overcomes every adversity that's thrown at her. sure, maybe she has the occasional love interest and maybe she'd be paired with other characters in others' minds, but in the end she was a stallion that couldn't be saddled by a romantic relationship no matter how well-endowed—or in this case, fit and gorgeous—the love interest was.

this was ridiculous. did she consider todoroki her love interest? she slaps her face with both hands squeezing her face in thought. noooo.

"ah, i always loved the training camp. it's when i first started dating someone, you know." the words of her brother from the last time they were with each other echoed in her mind. but then so does, fuck off kousuke.