chapter forty-nine

ohhh, most of [name]'s friends seem to think in unison.

"cousins, huh?" iida repeats, his thumb and forefinger on his chin.

"mhm!" [name] answers. "my mom and her mom are sisters," yoarashi adds, his arm around her shoulder. "we're pretty close since we were the youngest kids in the family, growing up."

[name] pushes his arm off her shoulder to face him. "okay, now let me try the hat on," she says with stars in her eyes while doing crab-like grabbing gestures.

yoarashi keeps a firm grip on his uniform hat. "no! no way," he answers, "shiketsu students only. you should've gone to shiketsu if you wanted the hat."

"not fair!" [name] responds, "auntie said that you were the top in the recommended students for ua! if i had known you were going to shiketsu, i could have convinced mother to let me go there too!"

yoarashi sticks his tongue out. "maybe if you'd gone to the recommendation exam, i'd have known you were going to ua, and i would've decided to enroll there."

"hey! it's not my fault they had me tested at home." [name] crosses her arms.

her cousin keeps his grip on the hat. "too bad then, shiketsu students only."

uraraka chuckles at the two of them bickering, and her laugh makes [name] recall their existence.

"right, sorry, i haven't introduced you yet," [name] says, "everyone, yoarashi inasa. inasa, this is iida, midoriya, uraraka, and todoroki."

"nice to meet you guys." yoarashi grins, shaking their hands in the order they are introduced. but the smile on his face drops right when he reaches todoroki's hand.

this guy is..!

he forces a grin again before giving him a tight handshake.

"[nickname]-chan, can i talk to you in private before the exam starts?"

[name] glances at her watch as she answers, "sure, but we've only got a few minutes left before they're splitting us up by school."

"not a problem," yoarashi answers and immediately grabs her arm. as they walk away [name] says to her friends, "we'll be right back."

---

they walk until they reach far enough for anyone not to hear them, but still within sight. [name] is perplexed as she tries to figure out what's up with yoarashi.

[name]'s mood immediately changes as she notices the sudden shift in yoarashi's character. she'd never seen him this serious.

"[name]," he says in a stern tone. "you're not seriously friends with todoroki, are you?"

she has a puzzled look on her face as she responds, "i am. what's wrong with being friends with him?" this situation feels awfully familiar.

yoarashi's frustration is evident in his face as he sighs and puts his fingertips to his temple. "i thought kousuke-nii would have told you by now."

ah, right.

"he did tell me."

yoarashi looks in shock as she continues. "we're way past that, nasa. we're good, all of that stuff is behind us."

"besides, how do you even know about it? i didn't even know about it until several months ago." [name]'s tone shifts to accusation as their conversation goes on.

"what do you mean, 'how do i know?'" yoarashi scoffs, "my mom told me. everyone in the family knows!"

"that hardly seems like any of your business."

"how is it not my business? we're family," yoarashi responds, his voice and gestures making it obvious to the crowd a short distance away that they were disagreeing, in stark contrast to their cheerful reunion just a few minutes ago.

"why would i not know about the reason my best friend had to move to the other side of the world?" yoarashi says.

"if it wasn't for his family and their dumb contract marriages, you wouldn't have left japan in the first place!"

[name] laughs in disbelief. "first of all, none of that is shouto's fault," she says. she feels angry at her cousin for needlessly blaming shouto, but angry at her mother for putting her in this situation.

"we were children. if you want someone to blame for us leaving, blame literally any other adult in that situation," she adds.

"and second, that is not your story to bring up."

"[name]."

the sudden call of her name was enough to startle her out of the conversation. she looked behind her to see shouto's piercing gaze.

no... how long has he been standing there..?

he didn't hear everything... did he?

[name] couldn't read the expression on his face. she feels her face still flush with anger and frustration, her heartbeat irregular.

"aizawa-sensei's calling us," was all shouto said before immediately turning and walking away.

she faces her cousin again before saying a cold, prompt "bye" then rushes to follow todoroki.