How can I love you?

Chapter  17

I spent most the next day in the room. I refused to go downstairs to help out with any planning or even for breakfast. Philip couldn't even stay with me because he was busy with his royal meetings and stuff. He'd have people check on me from time to time. I felt so helpless. What could I do? I had to sit there and take it. I debated on whether or not I could tell them. Maybe it'd be better if I did, but I didn't want to put my family in jeopardy. Then I thought, what if he didn't have my family? What if he was lying? I decided I needed to go see them... whether Philip let me or not. 

I was just out of the shower, that I decided to take to pass the time when there was a knock on the door. "Georgia?" I recognised Steven's voice immediately and I ran over to yank the door open. I had been so caught up worrying, that I had forgotten about Steven. Sure enough, it was him. "Steven," I breathed. He looked at me for a second then averted his gaze, looking a little bored. He was carrying a tray of food. I frowned, not wanting things to be like this between us. I needed him, even though I couldn't say anything to him either. "Steven?" I questioned again, but he just brushed past me and began walking over towards the table. "I'm supposed to leave this here, since you won't come down," he said in an annoying voice. He made his way back out the door and I stopped him. "Wait, where are you going? Steven?" He just continued. "Please, I need to talk to you!" He stopped and turned around, still not looking at me. "What?" he asked through his teeth. I sighed and held the door open wider. "Will you come in?" He sighed too and walked back into the room.

"Steven..." I began and he frowned, looking like he was about to argue. "I'm so sorry!" I said quickly. He looked surprised and his frown disappeared. "What?" he asked. "I'm sorry Steven. I didn't mean what I said. It wasn't your fault. I never should have blamed you, you just wanted my help." He looked a little confused. "But Georgia, I was going to apologize to you." That caught me off guard. "You? Why should you?" I asked. "Because it was kind of my fault and... oh forget about it. I'm sorry." I smiled and hugged him. He hugged me back. "I though you wanted me to apologize to you. Why did you leave it for so long? I felt awful and I thought maybe you'd feel the same because I hate fighting with you. You're one of the only ones I can really have fun with," he explained. "Steven I did feel the same. I wanted to apologize right away but thought I'd let us both cool off. Then when I went to find you I bumped into Rachel and she pulled me out the door. I would have came to you today but I was worried becau-" I stopped myself midway. What was I doing? I couldn't tell Steven. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Because what?" he questioned. "Uh, I thought you'd be mad," I lied. He laughed. "I wasn't mad, I just wanted to make friends with you. I nodded and he breathed out. "I'd better be going so you can eat your food," he said pointing to the tray. "You don't have to leave. You can stay with me and talk," I suggested. "No, I'd really better go. Not that I wouldn't love to stay, it's just that I'm needed to help out and stuff," he shrugged. I nodded. "Okay, see you later." he went out, closing the door behind him and left me to my worrying thoughts.

I had eaten half of my dinner when I came up with the idea of asking Philip to let me go see my parents. Just as I thought of it, Philip entered. "Hey Philip, I need to ask you something." His expression looked a little down. "What?" I questioned. What could have made his mood change like that? He sighed and walked over to me. "I wish you would come out of this room," he commented, slowly. "Well you see, I was going to ask you if-" I began but his eyes were drifting and unfocused. "Philip? What's wrong? Tell me!" I demanded, going over to him. I took his hand and he finally looked at me. "Oh, sorry no. Nothing really, just some problems with the kingdom," he answered. I felt my heart drop. "Problems?" Maybe he knew about that guy. He sucked in a sharp breath and smiled. "Nothing that can't be solved easily though. Don't you worry yourself, you've a wedding to get ready for." He kissed the top of my head and stood up to leave but I grabbed his hand. "Philip, wait." He stopped and sat back down, giving me his attention. "I wanted to ask you if... I might be able to go see my family." His expression blanked. "Your family?" he asked it as if he had forgotten I had one. "Yes... I miss my parents and my brother." He frowned at me. "Your brother?" I nodded and gave him a pleading look. "Could I please go Philip? Today?" I begged, hopeful he might agree.