How can I love you?

Chapter 27

Travis emerged through a small set of gates in the garden. They were black barred gates, with ivy climbing up the sides. I just stared over as he came through and then caught my eye. Changing direction, he began making his way over to me. I had been walking, but decided to wait, since he was coming over anyways. The garden wasn't that big really. Not as big as the Alden's garden, or the one at Kidland villiage. I noticed he had a slight frown tugging at his eyebrows but he didn't attempt to compose himself. 

"Hey Georgia," he sighed. I smiled a small smile at him, before picking up pace again, expecting him to come walking with me. "You've been out here a while haven't you?" he wondered.

"Yep," I sighed in content, closing my eyes momentarily at the refreshing breeze that blew my hair out of my face. 

"And the garden is tiny compared to Philip's one. You must have walked around it a few times, huh?" he asked, though I could tell he wasn't that interested. I just nodded in response to him. 

"Sorry I haven't been around too much today. I've had some... business to take care of," he confirmed. 

"Oh yeah, I wanted to ask you about that actually. What were you saying to Philip earlier? Do you have any leads? He said you'd sent somebody to find out information," I asked curiously. He grimaced while I was speaking.

"Yeah, but I can't seem to get anything. No trace of any plans... people who might be involved... anything like that," he spoke, still wearing that little frown. 

"...What if it doesn't happen now? What if it doesn't happen for years? Will we have to..." I stopped myself, trailing off. I didn't want to think about that. Travis' frown just deepened.

"I'm sure you're wrong Georgia," he offered, trying to reassure me. "And even if it does come to that... you're more than welcome to go home until that day comes. Everybody says they'd rather you be here... just in case, but I don't think Philip would be able to spend too much time away. He'd probably end up coming here to live with you," he laughed. I laughed too, but in truth, it made my stomach flutter to think he'd do that for me. 

After Travis left, Dane came out to meet me. "Hey Georgia, you wanna eat something? I'm kinda hungry," he proclaimed after just a few minutes of walking. I laughed in response and then nodded. 

"Yeah, I could go for some food too." We made our way into the kitchen and began raiding the presses for food. "What can we have? What. Can. We. Have?" he thought aloud. I pulled open a drawer to find cookie mix.

"Oh hey, how 'bout cookies?" I asked, smiling up at him. He reminded me so much of Steven. He grinned widely and then abruptly wiped it right off his face.

"Are they instant cookies?" he asked skeptically. I raised an eyebrow at him. 

"Instant? No... you put them in the oven, but we're not making them from scratch.

"Can you make them from scratch?" he asked, thoughtfully.

I stared blankly at him. "...No... can you?" He just shook his head smiling and began pulling utensils out of the cupboards. 

An hour later we were sitting at the table eating the cookies and covered in baking mix. It reminded me of the time Steven and I had had that water fight. I smiled and then sighed slightly. Although I did enjoy Dane's company. I bet he and Steven would get along just perfect. Of course Lewis would probably get along with him too... because they were cousins. I could see why Philip and Travis were good friends too. They were alike in a lot of ways. Travis was a little more teasing, where as Philip was more serious. Travis wasn't up for much humour these days. Maybe I'd be glad if he did though, it would make it seem more normal... like we weren't in this situation. I decided it would be best not to let him know that though. He was probably just as affected by this whole thing as I was.