How can I love you?

Chapter 26

*Recap:  "Dane, why don't you bring Georgia back upstairs?" she asked, looking at Dane.

"Yeah, sure mom."

He made his way over to me and ushered me out the door. He must have known that I wasn't in the mood to talk because he didn't breath a word all the way upstairs. He left me at my door and waited until I went in. "Night Georgia," he spoke quietly before closing the door behind him. A stray tear slid down my cheek and I brushed it away quickly. It wouldn't do to cry now. I felt I'd done enough of that for a while. Instead I pulled my hair out of the up-style, kicked off my shoes and clothes and slid under the covers, waiting for sleep to invade my mind. 

**********

Georgia dreamed she was in her park in Kidland. She inhaled the sweet, summery air and leaned down to touch the delicate flower petals. Her surroundings consumed her every sense and she basked in it. She lay in her grass, smiling and then looked down to her hand. Usually when she was here, she would play with the ring she'd found here. To her surprise, it was gone. Instead, she only found a wedding band, on her left hand. She frowned at it and panic began to swell in her chest. She tried pulling it off but it seemed to be glued on. Abruptly standing up, she began frantically searching for her other ring. The one she was wearing felt wrong. It felt as though it shouldn't be there. Running over to the patch of flowers she found hers in, she threw herself on the ground and began tearing the flowers out of the ground roughly, trying to find it. Clawing and scratching at the dirt and finding nothing, she began to cry. The lovely day meant nothing to her now and she was all alone in the park. There was nobody around to help her find it. Another thought crossed her mind and stood to look for something else. She called out to him, to find her voice weak. He'd never hear her, even if he were here. She cried out loudly and the tears rolled down her face. 

She woke with a start, to someone shaking her gently. "Georgia!" they called softly but urgently. She gasped and opened her eyes wide in the dark. "Philip?" she whimpered. She heard a very light sigh. "No, it's Travis. Are you alright?" As soon as he said it, her shoulders sagged. She'd forgotten she was here. She nodded and ran her hand through her hair. His hand that was still on her shoulder, moved away and he sat on the bed. She couldn't see him because it was pitch black in the room. "Dane heard you crying out and woke me. He thought I should come..." he spoke in a low voice. "Thanks," I whispered in response. "...Did you have a bad dream?" he asked, seemingly feeling awkward. Before I got to answer, the room lit up white for a split second and Travis' face was illuminated. I jumped in fright and sucked in a sharp breath. My heart rate picked up and I clutched the blanket to my chest. We sat in silence for a few moments until a loud crack of thunder rolled through the sky. I jumped violently again and then shifted uncomfortably in the bed. Why did this have to happen here? I bit down hard on my lip as I waited for the next blow. 

What I could make out out Travis' silhouette, moved slightly. "Georgia... Philip told me. It's okay, I'm here. He told me to look after you if a storm came," he said gently. He placed his hand down carefully on mine, but I still didn't expect the movement and flinched. I didn't jerk away though. Lightening lit up the room again and I saw him searching my face quickly. I didn't like how he spoke to me as if I were a child... as if he were negotiating with me. We were supposed to be friends, but our recent circumstances changed that. I closed my eyes for a moment thinking. Eventually I shook my head. "No, I'll be alright," I said. I would be alright. He didn't have to sit here with me all night. It'd be weird. 

"...Are you sure?" he asked doubtful. "I really don't mind sitting with you until you fall asleep." 

"No, no honestly, I'll be fine, I swear."

He seemed to ponder this for a few moments, and I knew he could hear when my heart pounded each time the thunder cracked loudly. Eventually he gave in. "Alright," he sighed. "You know where I am If you change your mind." I nodded in response. "