How can I love you?

Chapter 24

Travis led me inside, his hand on the small of my back. I was slightly hesitant but he must have known that I'd be wary after what he'd just said. His Uncle was weird? In what way? I wasn't scared, just catious as to what to expect from him. Once inside, Travis dropped his hand and put it behind his back, with the other one. I stood awkwardly, glancing over at the man that sat on the other side of the kitchen. His expression was once of nonchalance but his features had a sharp edge to them. His hair was slicked back neatly and slightly greying. He was wearing a dark navy suit, looking quite business-like. He eyed me expectantly and I clasped my hands together, waiting for Travis to introduce us. The man made no attempt of rising from the chair he sat at. 

"Good afternoon Unlce. This is Georgia. As you know, she'll be staying with us for a while." He walked forward and I followed him. The man continued to stare, without saying a word. I frowned for a split second, and then decided maybe I should initiate the greeting. Clearing my throat, I stepped forward and held out my hand to him. "Hello sir, nice to meet you." 

Instead of taking my hand, he stared at it instead. His expression turned to an amused scowl as he continued to stare at my hand, rather than my face. After a few moments, I hesitantly took my hand back, wondering if I had done something. I turned my head to Travis, unsure of what I should do. He looked from me to his uncle and frowned slightly. He cleared his throat pointedly and nodded toward his Uncle. 

My head whipped around when I heard a small bark of laughter. I stared back at the man in surprise and wonder. What could he possibly think was funny? Was he mad, or was he just joking with me? I'd hoped it was the latter. He rose up from his seat and moved around the desk, looking me up and down. All I could do was stand, dumbly. His eyes twinkled with amusement and he grinned, glancing over at Travis. "Nephew, would you mind telling me why this human thinks she may address me?" He looked back to me. I blinked at him a few times. 

"Uncle, this is to be my... wife, remember? She's the girl from Amir's prophecy," Travis explained, though I didn't turn to see his face. The man came to stand in front of me, crossing his arms. I was tempted to step back, slightly intimidated by him. He looked back to me now, all traces of humor gone now. "That does not justify the fact that she feels she may speak to me without being addressed first. She is a mere human."  was surprised at this, considering none of the vampires I had spoken to before seemed to have prejudices against me, just because I was human. It actually shocked me that he could speak as though I weren't even in the room. 

I turned to look at Travis, with an expression that I hoped resembled, "WHAT?!" My eyes were wide, as I turned from the man. He was scowling at him in annoyance. A hand gripped my wrist and I was yanked so that I was forced to turn around and look at the man again. I froze in place, staring at his angry face. "You shall not look away from me, human."  He still had a hold on my wrist, gripping it tightly. I winced at him and then I felt another hand taking my left hand swiftly. "She will not be spoken to like that. Let go of her Collin," Travis spoke sternly. He tugged me backwards and Collin let go. Travis pulled me behind him. I looked around him to see Collin's face. His eyes were that of a mad persons. He looked angered and a bit crazy. 

Travis was standing tall but didn't say anything. After a few moments of what I presumed to be a staring contest, Collin's eyes dimmed, but his mouth pressed into a thin line. "Forgive me Travis. It is not something I am used to." With that, he turned on his heel and exited the room, banging the door with a little more force than necessary on his way out. Travis sighed loudly and relaxed his stance. I stared at the door, completely confused as to what just happened.  Weird was certainly an understatement. Maybe completely nuts better fit the description.