How can I love you?

(A/N: This chapter is for DEFendersGirl. Happy Birthday. :P xx)

Chapter 23

Dane's voice broke my thoughts and I blinked, turning to look at him. "I- I'm sorry what?" I asked, not hearing what he had said. I looked up to see his eyes in the rear-view mirror. 

"I just asked you if you were alright. You're not very talkative," he observed, grimacing slightly in the mirror at me. His eyes flashed from mine to the road. I just nodded in response. 

"Yeah, I'm fine thanks," I replied. What else was I going to say? Oh yeah I'm just worried sick about you and your whole family? I don't want to be here? I wan't to go back home now?! Don't get me wrong, he seemed like a nice guy but I couldn't help the way I felt. 

"Well there aren't many of us, so you don't need to worry too much. It's just Our mother Sophia, Unlce Colin and us living in the house," he assured me. I blinked in surprise. "That's all? Really?" Travis turned to look at me over his shoulder with a slight frown on his face. "Yeah, is that okay?" he asked, sounding offended for some reason. "No! I didn't mean... I mean... yes." He didn't reply, but turned around in his chair. That sounded okay actually. 

"Travis?" I spoke quietly. He didn't turn this time but answered me anyway. "Yeah?" 

"Do you have any sisters?" I looked at the mirror to see Dane's eyes, who flashed to mine. "No, we don't have a sister," he answered. I just nodded in response. "Okay..." For some reason though, I felt a little disappointed upon hearing this. I sighed, thinking about the twinies. I would miss them. 

After a few minutes of thinking about Philip and his family, I looked at Dane again, who was concentrating on the road. I took in his appearance properly now. He had black hair like Travis', though it was longer and was styled perfectly. He was younger too. He looked younger than me. I figured he was sixteen, considering he was driving the car. He looked like he belonged in one of those boybands that all the young girls swooned over. I smiled at this thought. His clothes was that of a boyband's style too. His eyes glanced at me through the mirror and he shot me a cute smile. I returned the smile. He reminded me of a younger version of my brother Keith when he grinned like that. 

The rest of the ride was quiet until we reached his house. It was smaller than the Alden's house. I didn't mind though, to tell you the truth, I was actually glad it was smaller. There was no use in having a massively huge house for only a small number of people. As if reading my mind, Travis opened looked at me, the small frown still in place. "I hope you weren't expecting anything extravagant." My eyes widended a little. "No, what are you talkin' about? It's lovely," I smiled looking out the window. When I looked back to his face, he seemed to be studying my expression to see if I was lying, I guessed. He seemed satisfied and smiled a slight smile at me before opening the door. He opened mine for me and I got out to have a look at the house.

It was a beautiful little house. I say little because I was comparing it to Philip's, but in fact it was rather big. It was bigger than the house my family live in. It was styled like a cottage but much bigger. The brown-brick walls had ivy climbing around it. I smiled at it. Travis appeared next to me and sighed lightly. It wasn't an exasperated sigh, but more like a 'happy to be home' sigh. I looked down and noticed he had my bag. I leaned down to take it from him but he noticed what I was doing and pulled it away, moving forward. My hand swiped at the air and I fell forward, catching myself by skipping on one of my legs. I stood up and saw Travis smirking at me over his shoulder. I muttered somethin unintelligible and kept walking.