How can I love you?

Chapter 6

In the kitchen, I sat on a stool at the breakfast counter and he went over to the fridge. "Do you like eggs?" he asked turning to look at me. I rested my elbows on the counter-top and twisted slightly from side to side in my stool. "Yeah." He began cooking eggs for us. "Thanks" I said when he put the plate in front of me. He sat down next to me with his and I hopped up. He looked up at me surprised. "Where are you going?" I walked over to the fridge. "Getting a drink. You want one?" I looked in the fridge and pulled out orange juice. "Uh, n-no." he stammered, sounding uneasy. I looked back to his face and frowned. "You alright?" He nodded, looking at my glass. "I um... well I don't usually uh... I'd, prefere to drink, other drinks." he looked at me like I was missing some clue. It was a few seconds before I realised what he was saying. My eyes grew wide in understanding. "Oh... oh yeah." How had I forgotten that? I thought sitting back on the stool. He looked at my face. It must be because I felt comfortable around him. I didn't think that was possible. Comfortable? Around a vampire.

His face had tension in it. I faked a laugh. "Ha, I thought you meant alcohol." I said to make him relax. He laughed too and began eating again. "So tell me," he began. "How did you get to be here?" he asked smiling. My face fell a little. "Travis took me from my home." I said glumly. He looked surprised. "Your home? He just walked in and took you?" I sighed. "Not exactly. I was going to a party with my friend, but it didn't work." My voice grew sadder when I thought of Penny. I missed her. "I was waiting at the bus stop to go home and that's when I met Travis. I think he would have taken me then but the bus came and he let me go. The next morining, he came to take me. He drugged me." I had stopped eating, my appetite had completely gone. I put my fork back on the plate and made a disgusted face. I felt his hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry. That must have been horrible for you."

After a few minutes of silence, I decided that the was nothing I could do about it and I was just putting a downer on the place. I inhaled loudly and jumped down off the counter, smiling. I took both our plates and brought them to the sink to wash them. I just turned the water on when I was pushed to the side by the hip. "Let me do those." I think he meant to be gentle but didn't realise how much stronger he was. I ended up flying over to the other side of the kitchen almost. His mouth formed the shape of an 'O' as I looked at him in fake shock. "I'm sorry Georgia. I -" he began only to be cut of by me. My face turned into one that said, 'you're gonna be sorry for that.' I went over and pulled some bubbles out of the sink. I smeared them all over his head and then started laughing so hard that I had to grip onto the work-top. He looked surprised by what I had done.

My eyes were closed, so I didn't see him filling the glass full of water. I threw it in my face. I couldn't believe it! Did he actually do that?! I pulled the glass off of him and did the same, I was still laughing and so was he. We were laughing really loud, echoing all over the big kitchen. I felt myself being lifted up and I gasped. He put my face into the sink and let the cold water run on it. I could hear him laughing all the while. I fought him, and couldn't stop laughing. He eventually pulled me out and then put me down. We began wrestling and then he slipped on the wet, soapy floor and dragged me down wih him. We ended up on the floor, soaking wet from head to toe, and the faucet still ran. We both laughed.

I heard a door slam open and we both stopped, looking at each other wide-eyed. That made me laugh even more but he didn't laugh. He stood up quickly and faced the door. I couldn't see who it was because the counter blocked my view. I saw his chest rise, when he sucked in air. "Philip." he said solomly. My heart stopped. He was the last person I wanted to see and yet I couldn't bring myself to stop laughing. I pulled myself up using the counter and looked at him. He was there in the doorway, looking the most stunned I've ever seen anybody. He looked from me to Steven and at our wet clothes. "What the heck is going on in here?" he asked sternly. His voice scared me and my laughter faded. "We were just..." Steven began but then stopped, searching for words. "We were having a water-fight." I said and my face crumpled into laughter again. I stopped myself, biting on my lip. He looked at me shocked. I looked at Steven and he looked at me with a face that said 'we're in trouble.' Philip looked back to Steven. "Steven may I speak to you for a moment?" he asked, looking angry for some reason. Steven nodded and followed him out the door. Jeeze, what's the big deal? What, we're not allowed o have fun?