How can I love you?

Chapter 31

When Philip's words registered in my mind I pulled away from him instantly. I felt as if I had been dreaming up until then and his words snapped me right out of it. My eyes darted to Travis, who was lying still on the floor just as he had been only minutes ago. The guilt that consumed me in that moment made me want to swoon. I felt as if the growing lump in my throat might just explode in that moment. How could I have left him with Andy? Even worse, how could I have momentarily forgotten about him being dead? This was all my fault and all I could do was stare helplessly at him and wallow in my own guilt, praying that somehow I could turn back time. If only I had stayed and gotten that strange burst of courage that I got a few minutes ago and just killed him then. How was Philip going to feel? They were best friends weren't they? Would he hate me for it? I looked to Philip to see him staring out the window, calling some guards to let them know what happened. The chaotic noise around the house seemed to be dying down by the minute. I took that as a good sign. 

Philip turned around to face me and my eyes flew from Travis' body to his eyes. He frowned and quickly strode over to where Travis lay. I didn't know if he had noticed already or if he had forgotten or something. He bent down beside him and put a hand on the back of his neck to hoist him up a little. It was almost too much to bare. Philip's back was to me now so I couldn't gauge his reaction. Although I'm not exactly sure I wanted to see it. I looked at the floor and attempted to swallow the lump that I knew would inevitably end in tears. I as so sick of crying but I couldn't help it. I felt the tears coming.

Then I heard a light slapping sound that was continuous. My eyes went to Philip's back in confusion. I saw him hoist Travis up a little more.

"Come on buddy, get up," he spoke, slapping his cheeks. I sucked in a breath of shock, amazement and relief. It was as if a heavy weight had been lifted off my heart. He wasn't dead! 

"Wake up, come on," he yelled a little louder. I heard Travis grunt and saw his head moving a little. A huge grin spread onto my face and I ran over to him. I knelt down on the other side of him.

"Travis! Aw- I can't believe it. Thank God!" I slapped my hands over my mouth in surprise and delight. Then a tiny laugh escaped my lips. I honestly couldn't believe it. Travis winced and opened his eyes. He had a few bruises and a pretty bad black eye but otherwise he looked fine. He let out a long, painful sounding grunt. Worried I looked down at his body, making sure he was alright. 

"Uh, I can't believe I passed out from a punch!" he groaned, sounding annoyed. "I could have taken him. Where is he?"

"Dead," Philip answered, unfazed. It disturbed me a little that he could say it with such ease. 

Travis grunted again. "Good," he said in response. 

Overwhelmed that he was really okay, I hugged him while he was still on the floor. I don't think he was expecting it, because he jumped a little. 

"Georgia..." he began apprehensively. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm just so happy your alright. I thought you were... dead." There was a few moments of silence in the room until Travis spoke again.

"See I knew I was the one she wanted Philip," Surprised by his words, I pulled back to see his face. I stared at him, until he burst into laughter. After a moment, Philip punched him into the shoulder, not so lightly. He stopped laughing straight away and winced. 

"Ow, man! What was that?!" he yelled. I looked at Philip then to see him looking disapprovingly at Travis. I laughed then. It was good to finally get the old Travis back. He soon joined in my laughter. Philip looked at me like I was crazy.