How can I love you?

Chapter 25

I heard a sigh of relief coming from the other end of the phone. "I know... I'm sorry I didn't see you off. That was awful of me. I should have said goodbye to you," he spoke in a rush, as if he couldn't tell me quick enough. "It's alright." I wasn't really sure what to say. I just wanted to call him. He'd made me promise earlier. "Why didn't you call me sooner?" he wondered. "I was just getting settled in," I told him honestly. There was silence on the other end of the phone for a minute until he spoke again. "Georgia... I want you to call me every day okay? I just, need to hear your voice," he told me, in a sad tone. I grimaced, wishing I could hug him. "Of course," I promised. I twisted the phone cord around my finger. 

"Alright, so how are you finding the Carson's?" he wondered, changing the subject. "They're nice," I responded, deciding to keep the incident with Collin to myself. He would probably flip out. "Sophia is lovely," I told him. "Yeah she is. She's funny." I could hear the smile in his voice as he spoke. "What about Collin? He's a strange man." I cursed him for bringing it up. I'd just have to be vague. "Yeah, he is," I replied, deciding I might change the subject. "How is everybody?"

We talked for a few minutes more, but I knew I they'd be waiting for me. "Philip, I have to go now. We're having dinner and they're waiting for me." He sighed out a breath, so quiet I almost didn't hear. "Okay, Georgia. Enjoy your dinner," he told me. "I will, thanks. I'll call you again tomorrow. Tell everybody I said hi okay." 

"Yeah, I will. Bye Georgia," he said. "Bye Philip. I love you," I responded before hanging up. I knew he'd get shy sometimes when it came to saying that. I didn't mind though, because I knew he did. I left the room and bumped into Dane. "Oh! Sorry, I didn't see you there." He steadied me. "That's alright. My mom sent me to see if you were done. Dinner's served."  I nodded and we both headed down the stairs to the dinning room. 

"Here she is now," Sophia said when we walked into the dinning room. "I'm sorry for delaying dinner," I grimaced at her. "Oh! don't be silly, you didn't," she reassured me. I took a seat next and Dane sat next to me. Travis was facing me and Sophia and Collin sat at the opposite ends of the table. I glanced slyly up at Collin to see him glaring at me. I dropped my gaze immediately and he began to eat, rather viciously at that. I looked down to my plate. It was a typical dinner, consisting of chicken, potatoes and vegetables. Good enough for me. I picked up my fork and began to eat. Dinner here was a different experience to what it was in the Alden's household. They had conversation while they ate together. It was very interactive. Here was the opposite. They ate in silence. I guess Sophia probably gave up trying to hold a conversation with the men at the table a long time ago. They all seemed pretty interested in their food. Every once in a while, I would glance up and often she would send me a small smile if she happened to look up at the same time. Travis or Dane's eyes never left their plates. I didn't look at Collin again. He was too hostile for my liking. 

After dinner, I was pretty tired. Not to mention a little sad. I had completely forgotten that we were supposed to wed this evening. Sophia had mentioned it at dinner and said that we would have a small ceremony. I was literally grimacing inside, because I'd planned to just go to bed. At least I didn't have to get all dressed up and stuff. I did have to wear something a little formal but nothing too extravagant. No wedding dress, no reception, no church, no hundred guests, no nonsense. That was fine with me. I'd actually prefer that.

I dressed in a pair of high waisted, black slacks and a white blouse. Maybe some tradition was essential. I twisted my hair into an up-style and waited in my bedroom for Travis to come get me. This would be so awkward. 

"Knock, knock." I looked over to see him waiting by the door. He wore a black shirt and black slacks. Simple enough. I stood up from the bed, puffing out a breath. "You alright?" he wondered. I just nodded in response, unsure of what else I could say at this moment. "You look nice," he tried again to rouse a conversation. Without saying anything, I crossed the room to him. He turned and began walking with me. Silently, we made our way to the family room to get married. I huffed a tiny, almost inaudible sigh, but he caught it. In my peripheral vision I saw him look at me, but I didn't return it. When we got to the room, he took m hand and squeezed it a little, for reassurance. I wanted to pull my hand away. The only person I wanted to hold my hand now wasn't here.

When we were standing in front of where the priest stood, Travis let go of my hand. I turned to him and he did the same. My hands were clasped in front of me, where as his were clasped behind his back. I zoned in and out of the ceremony up until the 'I do's'. Sophia, Dane and Collin stood near us but I didn't look at them. I barely even looked at Travis. I finally snapped out of my trance-like-state when someone cleared their throats. My head snapped up to the priest. 

"Do you Georgia Luxford, take Travis Carson to be your husband?" I licked my lips once before responding, because they were dry. "I do," I replied in the quietest voice imaginable. I assumed that Travis had already answered because the priest proceeded to the next part.  

"Then, by the power enthroned in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss your bride."

At these words, my eyes finally flickered to Travis', who wore a somber expression. I wondered what he would do now. He leaned in and shifted his gaze to mine. I quickly looked away, not wanting this part to come. Instead, I felt him kiss my cheek. It was such a relief. I looked at the priest, thinking that maybe he'd disapprove. He didn't seem to mind and then finished up the ceremony. 

When it was over, Sophia made her way over to the priest to talk to him. I stood awkwardly, not knowing what I should do now. I just gazed down at my feet. Collin left the room immediately and Dane came over to stand by Travis. They spoke quietly to one another. After a few minutes, the priest left, Sophia escorting him out the door. Travis approached me then. "I'm sorry Georgia. I really am. I hate this," he said quietly, trying to reason with me. I didn't blame him though. None of this was his fault, apart from the fact that he was the one who'd kidnapped me in the first place. But I couldn't hate him for that; how would I have met Philip if not for Travis? I shook my head and tried to force a smile, but I doubt I was very successful. 

"It's alright, it's not your fault." He just looked at me hesitantly. Sophia returned and gave me a warm hug. "Sorry hunny," she whispered in my ear. "Dane, why don't you bring Georgia back upstairs?" she asked, looking at Dane.

"Yeah, sure mom."

He made his way over to me and ushered me out the door. He must have known that I wasn't in the mood to talk because he didn't breath a word all the way upstairs. He left me at my door and waited until I went in. "Night Georgia," he spoke quietly before closing the door behind him. A stray tear slid down my cheek and I brushed it away quickly. It wouldn't do to cry now. I felt I'd done enough of that for a while. Instead I pulled my hair out of the up-style, kicked off my shoes and clothes and slid under the covers, waiting for sleep to invade my mind. 

_________________

Lately I'm finding this story is a little bit 'blah'. I'm losing interest in it. I have a great idea for a new story but I'm not going to start it for a while, if I do decide to start it. I don't know. :/

Anyways don't worry, I'm not just going to stop writing this one. Once I start something, I finish it. Even if it does begin to annoy me. This is probably the reason my updates are less frequent too. I'm having to force myself to write them. Maybe it's just a phase. I'll probably get over it and get back into it again.