How can I love you?

Chapter 22

"These are my conditions Travis..." Philip spoke, in a harsh voice. Myself, Philip and Travis were in our bedroom discussing 'terms' about the wedding. Philip was pacing up and down the room, Travis was seated in a chair, by a small desk and I sat at the end of the bed, bitting my nails. I had changed into my pajamas at this stage. Travis nodded his head once. "Of course Philip," he spoke softly, sending me a nervous glance. I just stared, not fully grasping the predicament we were in yet. I watched Philip pace the room. He didn't look at me at all since earlier. It made me feel horrible... like he hated me now. I was afraid that he would look at me, his eyes filled with hatred. I didn't even dare to sigh.

"You must marry her, but that is as far as goes, do you understand? I don't want to you sleeping in the same bed," he glanced up to glare at Travis. "And you better not even think, about drinking from her. She's mine." He stopped and pointed a finger at Travis accusingly. 

Travis's face stayed calm and he nodded his head once again in agreement. "Lastly... as soon as all of this is over, you better give her back to me," his finger dropped. He hung his head in sorrow and I gave him a piteous look. I just wanted to tell him that I wouldn't leave his side. Realistically though, I didn't have a choice.

"Philip..." Travis began and my heart lept into my mouth, thinking that he wouldn't agree to the terms. I waited, gripping onto the bed cover. I couldn't look at Philip but I guessed he had looked up too. "I know you love her. Of course I will do whatever you say. I know she is yours... no matter what the prophecy says. And I promise... as soon as this is all over, I will return her, safe and sound to your side. I swear it." I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding and let go of the covers. At least I had something to look forward to right? At least I knew I could go back to him, but who knows how long I'd have to wait? Could I wait that long without going crazy? I stared at the floor.

I heard a deep sigh. "Alright. I'm glad we got that cleared up... Thank you Travis," he said, though I think it sounded a little stiff. From my time here, it seemed as though Philip and Travis were best friends. What would me coming in between them do to their friendship? It already seemed to be taking its toll. I fell back on the bed, feeling guilty that all of this trouble was caused by me. Sometimes I wish it wasn't me who was supposed to be the 'savior'. 

They talked forever about the wedding, the prophecy, Amir, the trouble in the kingdoms, me, the future... it was endless. I ended up sitting on the floor, leaning up against the edge of the bed, with my head leaning back on the bed. My eyes started to close, after who know's how long? I don't know. It seemed like hours, I was that tired.

Philip's POV

Travis and I had talked a while and it seemed the conversation was coming to an end. There were longer gaps in our answers and eventually it became silent. I sighed, knowing I had to look at her now. I hadn't been able to look at her since it had been decided. It meant it was real. Official. I hated it. Finally, I turned my head to look at her and she was asleep on the floor. I sighed, glad that she was asleep for now. I didn't think I was ready to look into those eyes of hers just yet. It reminded me of the time she had fallen asleep on the floor by the window. It seemed so long ago. I let out a big breath and turned back to Travis. His eyes darted back to mine. He had been looking at her too, when I looked at her. I was being as civil as I possibly could with him... the man that was going to take away my bride, my love, my life. He was my best friend and he had no choice, but a part of me couldn't help but hate him for it. A part of me wanted to stand up and punch him straight into the face. He gave me yet another guilty look. 

"Philip... I swear I will look after her. I've already agreed to your terms. I won't do anything to her." I grabbed him, just above the wrist, holding his arm to the desk. "I know you won't," I replied threateningly. He just stared at me but he left his arm where it was. "You will take care of her... protect her. And if anything happens to her, I will hold you personally responsible Travis," I spoke quietly. His face became determined and he nodded once again. "Philip, I told you I wouldn't let anything happen to her and I won't." He looked at me comletely serious and sincere. I let him go and stood up. Travis stood up too. "I'm won't be there," I informed him. There was no was I was going to go and look at my girl marrying my best friend. "I know," he replied. "We'll talk tomorrow." With that, he left the room, closing the door behind him.