..Classmate..

Chapter Nine

Whether or not Shoto Todoroki had a crush on the successor of All Might was none of your concern. He knew crushes and relationships would get him nowhere in his goal to overcome his father and become a great hero. And he was sure Izuku Midoriya had the same feelings about it. That love was quite unnecessary.

 He wouldn't fall in love because he didn't have time. Yet, inside, he knew he was lying to himself. Every time Shoto saw a couple, other students confessing to each other, everyone's expression they made when they knew they would be happy and loved forever...

It hurt; because Todoroki didn't trust that going after someone would ever be as happy for him. When he was younger he thought his mother was happy. That didn't turn out well when she was abused by his father-- someone hungry for power, and Shoto's worse fear was turning out like him. No. No he would never  end up like Endeavor.

But if he really believed that, why was he working so hard to distance himself from everyone? Including Izuku? Was he really scared of hurting someone he cared for like that monster also known as Todoroki's father?

"Hey, Todoroki!" Denki and Kirishima went over to the mix-match eyes hero trainee. "We're all gonna head for the arcade tonight since Midoriya hasn't been out much since his absence. Wanna come? It'll be fun~ Come on, dude!" Denki insisted eagerly. Class had just ended and Shoto hadn't even been able to get up from his desk before the two other teens came over excitedly.

"Thank you for the offer, but--" Shoto tried to politely decline. He was planning on training extra after class anyway, and wasn't planning on leaving the school till late.

"No 'buts'! We're all going and your expecting to be there. We're meeting up at six after school at the Nikashima Arcade downtown." Kirishima told the confused classmate being bombarded with all  this information he couldn't care less about. "We need us men to keep the others out of trouble." He added confidently.

"I said,  I'm not going. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to waste around doing something ridiculous like playing at an arcade. Ask someone else." He said coldly as he got up from his chair, grabbing his schoolbag and pushing past Denki and Kirishima without a second thought, leaving the other two in shocked and awkward silence.

It's not like Shoto was interested in hanging out with his classmates even if they weren't going to an arcade. He needed to practice--work hard on his classes and not have to worry about things such as wasting his time doing things that wouldn't come being helpful in the long run. Todoroki sighed softly to himself. Was he a little too harsh on them? No, those two idiots would be fine he thought.

Now  Todoroki wasn't exactly sure why, but he thought Midoriya was also wasting his time. Didn't he understand the most important goal of an UA student was to perfect their quirk in the way the wanted it perfected? That classmates and activities would blockade their goals? Maybe Midoriya was just naive. He always talked about being a hero, but then why was his sight so much different from Shoto's?

Maybe Todoroki was just that much different from him-- maybe another sign that Todoroki was just like his--

"No. Stop thinking like that Shoto.." Todoroki mumbled to himself as he crossed the crosswalk in the direction of his house. "Your not like him. Your not like anyone. ."

"Hey, Midoriya!" A voice called out ahead of Todoroki across the street down the sidewalk. There was Izuku and rest of class 1A.  They were waited for what it looked for Midoriya to meet up with them. He ran over quickly, his freckled face smiling his usual sweet smile-- something that made Shoto uncomfortable when he saw it. Todoroki watched from a distance at his fellow UA classmates as they chatted a bit outside what was probably the arcade. They laughed and talked excitedly with each other-- not even noticing Todoroki who had stopped on the sidewalk across and behind them to for some reason, watch. The group, along with Izuku who Todoroki noticed was wearing an employee uniform under his jacket, (Did Midoriya get a job and that's why he was late?) walk inside with cheers, shouts, and nonstop chatting with bets and excited laughter.

"Whatever.." Todoroki mumbled with a small shrug. He couldn't tell them what to do with their lives anyway.

Although, the teen stopped when he felt a very dangerous and dark aura nearby. 

"..!?!?!?" Shoto immediately stopped and looked around the area, but all he saw were people leaving work, some cars driving by, and other teens walking home. Except for a stranger wearing a black hoodie that was across the street from him, and seemed to be looking at an add on a building next to the arcade, Shoto didn't see anything out of the normal. Strange. Then why was his breathing picking up pace so fast? Was it just his nerves because of the Sports Festival coming up? His father would be there; and most likely to try and reason  with him. Shoto couldn't care less about his father's wish for him to use his left side. That wouldn't happen, and nobody would convince him otherwise. Though. . . Shoto couldn't help but let the idea of his mother watching him on TV slip through his distressed mind. She probably couldn't anyway. It was better just not to think about that kind of stuff. Better not to get distracted. . .

"Damn  it. Just calm down. Your stressed." Todoroki reminded himself as he continued walking home, leaving the Nikashima arcade, stranger, classmates, and everything behind him without a second thought.