제 85 부

Shun's head rolled upside down. The first call of instinct that sailed across his mind was to inform the King right away. Sae Joo's condition must have been so serious that he chose to bypass all his immediate supervisors and dash to the wedding venue on his own. As soon as he made up his mind, he carried the Prince; then seconds later, the door almost crashed when his colleagues and the eunuch forcefully rushed in after hearing his scream.

"What happened?" a red dragon asked, his voice cracked out of panic.

Shun walked closer. Sae Joo's arms wrapped around his neck, his face tucked in the bodyguard's chest like they were a married couple. Faint moonlight from the right window glimmered his face and the intoxicated prince's damped robe. He revealed the Prince's face, and their worlds stopped all at once.

"Find the courtesans! They wouldn't have gotten that far yet. Some of you go to the palace and inform all our hwarangs and guards. I'll go to the wedding venue and tell them what happened... Move!"

For about ten seconds, the special force had arranged their new groups and jetted outside faster than the minute hand. Shun, with around three hwarangs and the eunuch, dashed to Jung Ho's house with a shocking revelation.

The Prime Minister's lawn vivified with bright lights from the yellow and red pumpkin-shaped lanterns. A small stage altar, sheltered with a brown tent from the faraway kingdom of Arabia, rested sacredly at the center. Two yellow mats, two red tables. Lady Seolji and her maidens formed a circle and summoned the deities of marriage for the final time. Female entertainers, in their balloon hoop skirts and big, pink, feathered fans danced in the courtyard, accompanied by the soft, windy, fairy-like melodies of the string, wind, and percussion ensemble. The visitors, mostly noblemen, sipped their red wines on their floor tables as the court ladies either refilled their cups or served them food.

Jae Joong and Jung Ho came out from the bride's room and strolled in the yard.

"It's almost time. Where is Sae Joo?" asked the King.

"He's probably on his way. The eunuch has fetched him already."

A guard announced from the gate, "Your Excellency, Nangdo Shun is here with the Prince."

Jung Ho's face brightened. He called Jin Ri's attendants and told them to inform her of the Prince's arrival, but reminded them never to let her out at all cost unless told so. The gates opened, and an unexpected sight barged in. Everyone stopped from their businesses, their eyes of various reactions upon seeing Shun carrying the unconscious groom whose face was covered with a pink bunny mask.

"What kind of disrespect is this?" Jae Joong hissed. "Is the Prince drunk?"

Without missing a beat, Shun brought down his baggage and brutally pushed him. A soft yelp and the alcohol kick seemed to have dried up.

"What do you think you're doing!" growled Jae Joong.

An unbelievable sight of what his son had become hours before his wedding. Regrets, regrets. He thought that he should not have permitted his son to enjoy the rest of the night. Too much freedom ruined not just his image, but of the whole palace.

"Untie his hands, or I'll cut your head off."

Before Shun could respond, the masked prince sprinted towards the gate like a patient who had escaped a mental asylum. Good thing, the guards and the hwarangs were agile enough to catch him. Shun grabbed his arm, dragged him back, and pinned him to the ground.

Jung Ho frowned. The strange scenario awakened his god-speed intuition. No proof yet, so his question was a bit restrained. "I understand that he might be wasted as of the moment, but let me remind you that what you're doing is a big act of treason." He chided, "Unless there is something that needs to be disclosed. Would you mind telling us?"