제 56 부

If the essence of consistency would be brought out, say the sense of nullity and nothingness, one could say that Jung Ho's trip was nearly comparable with what had happened at Dae Wong's or Jae Joong's—maybe even with Sae Joo's. The life in the palace was strangely quiet, disturbingly peaceful, inappropriately serene. Without Jung Ho, a big part of the palace was taken out (momentarily). A large puzzle piece thrown out under the riverbed. People continued their daily routine, but then again, it felt like something was missing. The short-lived peace and quiet were perceived as something dreadful. An eye in a storm.

Jung Ho came back three days later. No extravagant entrance, just plain acknowledgment of his return. Just like a professional officer, he immediately went back to his office and started work. Everything sailed smoothly. The deployment of hwarangs to Dokdo Island was a huge success. It only took a week until all batches of hwarangs from different provinces were able to complete the target number for enhanced security. So far, so good! No attacks, no sightings of any Tang shipping vessels.

Just like what he had planned, he opted to stay calm and think deeply about the situation. Perhaps it was better if his enemies would think that he was consistently getting boring and laid-back every single day. That actually happened. Days had passed, and the palace continued to be quiet as if no presence of Jung Ho was detected. It was as if a story had reached its denouement stage where the protagonist had won and would be starting a new life, a new arc.

Days became weeks. Weeks turned to months. People started to doubt Jung Ho's leadership qualities. Several palace officers and noblemen started making connections with each other, talking about what had happened with the Prime Minister. Some expressed their skepticism, convincing others to not underestimate Jung Ho's capability. Some, however, expressed their joy and sense of relief. No more blackmailing, controlling, calculating, manipulative big man who acts like a king.

Jung Min felt the same way as the noblemen. He kept on wondering what had happened to his father ever since he came back from his trip from Myeongju. Every time he would ask, the Prime Minister would just reply, "I am fine. Never worry. Nothing has changed." Evidently, nothing had really changed (in terms of the quality of work). Jung Ho remained to be as helpful as always to the common folk who needed help. Like his promise fifteen years ago, during the eclipse fiasco, he exerted efforts on solving some problems of commoners, with the approval of Jae Joong and the council of course. Water and food supply problems? He personally talked to governors of the province concerned and ordered them to make researches regarding the root cause of the problems. He demanded action, he commanded for results.

Not only with the political aspects, but Jung Ho focused also on the religious aspects of his duties. Being the Head of the Ceremonial Rites, he regularly went to the shrine and did some rituals, for the prosperity of the nation. He worked closely with Lady Seol Ji, a fine and talented Head Priestess, who was never involved in any political rifts, unlike her predecessor, Lady Jang.

Dae Wong, on the other hand, still continued with his plan. He made Shun turn into a clockwork bodyguard. The young boy remained beside Sae Joo, almost every time, to the point that he had never noticed the swaying hands of time. Should he request to go home to visit his father, he would be allowed to do so. Their father and son moments was short yet full of meaning and happiness. Chil Yook and Dae Wong rarely had a meeting. When they have had, it was always pre-planned, brief, and calculated. Every time Dae Wong left the palace, he always sensed that someone was following him, or as if a thousand eyes were observing his move. That feeling was never proven. He never caught someone stalking him despite all the tricks he used to say, evade or lose the possible spies. Despite never having a personal conversation, the two had been engaged to letter writing (as if they were lovers from different clans forbidden to love each other). Dae Wong would send messengers to bring short and detailed letters to Chil Yook. Say, codes only the two of them understood, anagrams too. The former Grand Marshall would respond, and the letter would be sent back to Dae Wong.