제 62 부

Shadows subsided as the burning light from the torches illuminated the surrounding bandits. Men in a full black cloak with eye masks. Surely, these people would not take a chance to be recognized by anyone. Could they be foreigners or sons of the province? Either way, these men were an immediate threat to Dae Wong and his group. The minister spread an arm, a quick signal for his men to scatter around (prepare themselves). Standing on his fighting position, Dae Wong confronted the unknown men, "Who are you?"

No response. Only a smooth whistle of the wind. "I said..." Before he could continue, one of the men screamed, leaving all stunned and off-guard. A signal to attack! Things went by rapidly and uncalculated. Dae Wong was not able to give proper instruction. As hwarangs, all they had to use was their warrior instincts. No more strategies where and who must be attacked. This was not a stage play rehearsal or a mere practice in their barracks. Their lives were at stake here. Just kill all enemies!

The clashing of swords destroyed the natural harmonies of the insects, like peals of temple bells clanking and ringing continuously. Attacks, blocks, kicks, punches, and stabs! The main plot line of the fantastic show. The moon seemed to had frowned upon them, his light shone faintly into the crevices of canopy trees. You destroyed peace to my view. Now, I'm going to confuse you.

Shing shing! Not more than five minutes had passed, and some enemies had wilted down from their family tree. Eyes wide open, throats slit, wrecked abdomens. The deities of the underworld were surely delighted to see such blood and gore.

As the fight continued, while everyone was busy dancing with the devils, unfortunately, a nangdo was stabbed in his abdomen. He fell down on his knees, and eventually to the ground.

"Minseok!" called Shun. His body moved like a tornado and twisted at the back of his current enemy, and gave him an intense slit at the throat. He was about to help the dying colleague but Dae Wong suddenly shouted, "Leave one or two of these bastards alive!" At the abrupt instruction, Shun shook his head and continued battling with the enemies. His rage fueled his blood and spirit, determined to finish their fight. His feet drifted into the ground and started attacking other men. Doubled energy traveled from his fists to the blunt of his sword. He was quicker, stronger, and viler.

"Yaaaaaahhh!"

All enemies fell into the ground as the dark mistress of death collected their rays of lives. As promised, three were left—generally, the weaker outliers perhaps. Shun's co-nangdos handled the wounded men, while he rushed to his dying colleague. "Minseok, Minseok. Can you hear me?" he put pressure on the poor nangdo's wound, blood bathing his hands.

A hoarse whisper came out from Minseok's lips, "Shun... Shun, I don't want to die yet."

"No, no. You won't die. We'll take you inside that palanquin. Just stay with us, alright?"

"Lord Dae Wong!" 

The minister and the panting nangdos ran to their waning comrade. With just one look, Dae Wong knew that the young nangdo would not be able to see tomorrow's sunlight. Pale face, bloody torso, short breaths—he hated to admit but who would survive that, considering they were in the middle of a dark, isolated mountain.

"Minseok, don't close your eyes. Stay with us."

Even with those kind encouraging words, the wounded nangdo has not escaped his unfortunate fate. His breathing got shallower and softer... and then there: a brave warrior has fallen. Shun closed his eyes and dropped his head, a small tear falling from his brown almond. Somehow, deep in his heart, he blamed himself. If he just practiced more—maybe if he was quicker and stronger, he could have killed that wretched man who ended his colleague's life. Even though Minseok was not as close to him like the way Sae Joo and Deok Cheol were, a portion of his heart collapsed. As the nangdo with advanced set of skills than his co-trainees, Shun thought that it was his obligation to apply every time the things he has learned, especially in times of battles. He felt like he was the default hero of his colleagues—that he should protect them, that no one should die whenever they were with him, that Minseok's death was his fault.