제 22 부

Swoosh—a slick, terrorizing, deadly arrow traveled freely in space. It seemed that it had been looking for its target for quite a time. Finally, it had found its prey, something to be devoured with its toxic unknown elements.

There was Lady Min. Upon hearing the Prime Minister's deadly words, she felt paralyzed, as if something fiendish had stabbed her heart. She felt like her blood pump ceased a beat like something was pounding and squeezing it so desperately. She could not believe what she just heard. If her Lord was willing to let Chil Yook and Lady Jang, who had been his puppets for years, die, what could even secure her future in the palace? Any day, any hour, any minute from now, she could possibly hear her name to be the next one to be killed. She was trapped in the hands of a mentally unstable nobleman who was willing to do everything for his sake. The worst thing: she was powerless.

"Wh-wh-what did you say, My Lord? Chil Yook and Lady Jang?" the nervous matron asked.

"Yes! I am quite impressed that you still have a good sense of hearing even if you are already at the dawns of your life." the Prime Minister chuckled.

Jung Ho's face changed, back to its serious visage. "Ah, before I forget, do you have it?"

Lady Min nodded, getting something from the pocket of her turquoise skirt. "Is this what you are looking for?"

"Yes. Good," Jung Ho commended, glancing to Lady Min as she showed a small purse half-filled with unknown herbs with a mint scent. He stood and walked to the door. "Let us go back to my chambers. Pain is attacking my dislocated arm again."

~~•~~

The entire day passed by easily as if no one would be prosecuted tomorrow. There was no fiasco, or any rushed times about the preparation because everything was arranged discreetly, from the venue, the posters, the equipment—everything. When all things had been settled, and as the fangs of the nighttime started consuming the remaining light of the blue skies, Jung Ho invited Dae Wong for a small tea meeting at his balcony unexpectedly. This time, the King was not around.

"Your Excellency, Minister Dae Wong is here," announced by a lady-in-waiting, sliding the balcony door.

The young minister's lavender cloak danced gracefully in the cold breeze of the twilight as he ambled down the balcony. Jung Ho had waited patiently at a small table while sipping his green tea.

"I appreciate your presence here, Minister Dae Wong," Jung Ho greeted, smiling.

Upon reaching the table, Dae Wong bowed. "Consider this as an ample amount of courtesy since I am a civilized person of this nation."

"Have a seat... Of course, I know you are. I mean, you do not yank somebody's collar when you are furious, I guess." the mischievous prime minister tittered.

Dae Wong's brows scrunched, trying to have a gasp of the Prime Minister's statements. He cleared his throat and asked, "I actually do not understand this invitation out of the blue. May we please proceed with the whole point... because I have other things to do?"

Jung Ho grinned in response. "I admire you for being blunt regarding what you really feel. As a matter of fact, you and I have a lot in common... which reminds me of what just happened regarding the council meeting the other day, when the King was deep asleep. It is about my investiture as the new Head of the Ceremonial Rites."

Sipping his tea, Dae Wong already sensed where the conversation would eventually go. Not me, you sly fox. Not me.

Jung Ho asked, "It has been baffling me until now. Why did you take side with me? Why did you cast a vote for me to become the Head of the Ceremonial Rites, replacing the King? You do know how the council works. It is always unanimous. One 'no' vote from you and that position will remain as an unreachable dream."