제 43 부

Shun stood slowly as he stared askance at the strange man. With his guard fully raised, he prowled forward, arms ready to launch a counterattack just in case. "Tell us who you are first."

The man bowed his head and smiled. "I was sent by Minister Dae Wong. He told me to follow you here."

As his brows met in a frown, Shun asked the man why he was sent by the minister. He was actually confused with what the man said. He wondered why the minister had sent a man all the way to Myeongju just to follow them. "Why did the minister do that? W-we-were you really sent by the minister in the first place?"

"Yes, Shun. Your name is Shun, right? He told me that he was worried about you and your family's condition."

"If that is true, why did you not just show up and introduce yourself? You were acting like a spy all this time. With that, do you really expect us to believe you?" Shun shook his head.

"I was just following orders...." he paused and glanced at Chil Yook, who was crouching at the ground, avoiding the man's eyes—restless." He continued, "The minister specifically told me to follow you secretly until you arrive safely on your hometown, but the way I see it, it seems like you already have nowhere to go."

"Wh-why? Why did Minister Dae Wong do that? Who are we for him to do that?"

"Again, like what I just said, I was just following orders... Are you convinced already? Shall we go?"

Shun shook his head, "No... not yet. Why are you in a hurry? We still need to patch things up here. We cannot just leave this place." he looked back to his father and asked permission to go to their house. Chil Yook was hesitant at first, worried that their neighbors might lash their anger towards him. "Shun, go with Deok Cheol. Those people's emotions were at their peak. Be careful."

"I can take care of myself, Father. Deok Cheol should stay here with you. I do not trust this man," disagreed Shun, glowering at the man. He patted his best friend's shoulder, telling him to stay with this father as he would just go to their house and get their valuable things. "Stay with my father. This will not take long."

Shun came out from their hiding place and trudged up to their community. Seeing how some people cried for a life lost encumbered his heart. As he went closer to their neighbors, his steps became slower and heavier, his heart crushed into pieces. He felt like he was transported into a different universe; the people in front of him became strangers. Their smiles and positivity were gone with the wind, and they were replaced by fear, distraught... and lamentation.

One of their neighbors noticed him walking—a scared twelve-year-old boy, holding his little sister, running away, wailing in fear. It actually crushed Shun's heart more because that boy was one of his students during his free alphabet lessons to the kids. Unknowingly, a pearl of tears lingered on the corner of his eye, waiting to roll down. He swallowed as he continued walking. All eyes were on him, stabbing him with hot, fiery glares—full of remorse.

An old man stood and walked towards him, staggering. He immediately moved closer to man and held his arms to prevent him from falling, but the angry man pushed him. "You... do us all a favor. Get out of this community! An innocent man had to die because of you and your father."

"Forgive me. Please forgive me," tears rolled down his eyes, palms rubbing together in a sincere apology.

"Forgive? Say that to your father's close friend!" the old man pulled him and dragged him to the dead man. He pushed the young boy, and Shun stumbled. "There! Apologize to him!

Shun's chest felt heavier, his lungs constricting into empty sacs, rejecting air. He chased his breaths while staring at the lifeless body, throat slit. "Forgive me, Dae Mung-ahjussi. Forgive me and my father."