제 6 부

The Grand Marshal drew his sword to the minister's neck. Anchoring his aghast eyes to the sharp edge of the sword, beads of sweat came out from Dae Wong's forehead. Time to retrieve the vanishing thread of courage inside him. He detested seeing the insolent people in front of him, his imagination feeding his ego with the thought that they might be thinking that an honorable council member was easily daunted by a mere weapon. He gathered his strength and scowled to the three conspirators, gritting his teeth. "Bunch of impudent fools!"

"Enough with your blabbing, Minister. You're not inside the palace. With just one slash, your blood will shower continuously until your last breath, and there would be no witnesses since you are alone! We are three!"

"I am alone?" the minister said, with a laugh that took Chil Yook aback.

At an unexpected moment, an arrow from the right side of the forest catapulted and landed a few inches from Chil Yook's right boot. So close! Poor metatarsals if destiny cracked a bad joke. He jumped out of shock and scuttled back to Dae Wong. As he was about to strike him, another arrow from the left side of the woods arched towards him. It was slower compared to the first one (angle origin—probably). Before it could land wherever it pleased, Chil Yook smashed it with his sword, breaking its vile existence.

He has had enough of the minister's stupid games. Dae Wong, standing idly, gawked at him from head to toe. He burst into a playful laugh. "I wish I could exactly describe to you how you looked."

Annoyed as he, Chil Yook closed his eyes and breathe slowly. Mauling the minister crept through his clouded imagination. He wanted to avenge his shredded dignity. Suddenly, Lady Min called him, making the Grand Marshal grit his teeth.

"Get back here!"

"Why?" he spat out.

He sheathed his sword back into its scabbard and stomped back to the front door, "What is this all about?"

Lady Min groaned and shook her head. She slapped Chil Yook's arm as she chided, "You are not thinking! Would you be responsible if those arrows had hit one of us? What if a hwarang has already run back to the palace to report everything to the king? We are on a dead-end here!"

At that rebuke, Chil Yook hung his head and zipped his mouth, ashamed of his rash actions. Dae Wong laughed out loud internally, for his plan had worked. If I was cornered, do the second plan. Divide and scare. Who would have thought that his two nangdos would instantly represent a full army?

Lady Min turned to the minister and confronted him. "So tell us, Minister Dae Wong—what do you want? Your eavesdropping should have an acceptable explanation."

Dae Wong stretched an arm and opened his palm. "Give me the almanac."

Lady Jang gasped in surprise upon hearing the minister's demand. Chil Yook shot a glance at her, and he discreetly blocked the Head Priestess from the minister's view, "Why do you want it?"

"Shut it, Grand Marshal. This doesn't concern you."

Picking a scroll from his sleeve, the minister revealed the order from the King, demanding for the almanac. A stage act needed before they could discover they had a faux. "This is a royal order. Non-compliance spells death."

The three conspirators looked at each other. Chil Yook and Lady Jang shook their heads, while Lady Min goggled her eyes into them—a silent command. She approached Chil Yook and whispered something into his ear that pacified the insistent beast. With no remaining option besides death, Chil Yook removed the black book from his chest and threw it at the minister's feet.

Dae Wong bent and picked the book. A fake grin sketched his mouth. "Good. I'll see you around." he craned his neck to the Head Priestess, who was trembling in fear behind Chil Yook. "Especially you, Lady Jang."