제 27 부

Jung Ho could not fathom how his most trusted person had successfully betrayed him. He started thinking different reasons why Chil Yook had done such foolish act. Have I not compensated him well-enough? I have given a satchel full of gold. Was there someone or something that might had convinced him? Who? Lady Min? No... Lady Jang? Probably... I should have killed that woman when I had a chance.

Among all of these thoughts, there was another that lingered in his stressed mind. Has he forgotten about what my mother had told him?

His head felt like bursting; it seemed like his entire skull would shatter into pieces anytime. Random piercing sounds from his thoughts screamed to his ears simultaneously. Despite this, he tried to find the balance from within. With his enormous ego, he did not wish that one unfortunate incident control him. He tried to relax—breathed in, and breathed out. He fought back his palpitating heart and battled with his unrelenting throbbing body muscles.

He clutched his head with both hands. "Think Jung Ho, think!"

As he was focusing on thinking how to find Chil Yook and baby Sae Yoo, a different memory flashed into his mind: the night when he had gotten Sae Yoo from the Head Nurse, Dong Hee.

~~•~~

[THE NIGHT THE TWIN PRINCES WERE BORN]

In that night when the twin princes were born, many mysteries had happened. One of them was the disappearance of Dong Hee's husband, Yong Woo. When Yong Woo had reached the foot of the Ojin Hill with his son, Il Woo, to meet his wife, he saw a woman, just as tall as Dong Hee, wearing a light blue robe, standing back beside a huge tree.

"Il Woo, my son, your mother is here already. Stay there and I will fetch her." Yong Woo's fingers played along with his son's hands. He descended from his carriage and approached the woman.

"My dear, you are just on time. How did the Queen's delivery go?"

The woman did not respond.

Pouting his lips, Yong Woo's brows carved into an arch. "Strange. What is the matter with you, my wife?

With just some split seconds, the woman turned around, revealing her identity. It was actually Lady Min, who posed as Dong Hee. She gave him a grin, and then, a group of hwarangs revealed themselves from behind the tree. Yong Woo gasped, and he ran immediately to his son, but it was too late. A hwarang was cradling the sleeping baby already.

"What do you need? Please do not hurt my son. We are just simple people, trying to move out from Seorabeol," Yong Woo pleaded, looking to his baby who was in the arms of the hwarangdo.

Lady Min just signaled another hwarangdo from the back, and the man jabbed Yong Woo in his nape, knocking him down.

The group left, and the next thing that had happened was another mystery. Lady Min gave baby Il Woo to the Prime Minister, and they prepared for one of their biggest plans. The Prime Minister traveled to the foot of Ojin Hill. Just as a perfect time, he saw Dong Hee running from afar going to the huge tree.

"Halt!" the Prime Minister commanded.

When the servants dropped the palanquin slowly on the ground, Lady Min opened the palanquin door, and the Prime Minister descended. He walked down the grasses and greeted Dong Hee.

"What a beautiful night!"

Dong Hee was shocked to recognize who the baby was. "Il Woo, no!"

After all the incidents of playing games—Dong Hee and the Prime Minister switching babies; unknown to the King, Dong Hee was captured inside the Prime Minister's palanquin. Inside the dim-lit mobile chamber were the Prime Minister's bed, different sets of furniture (small closets, tables, red lamp on the ceiling and small candles on the sides), and an additional: a small crib.