제 68 부

Poor Dae Wong—carrying a drunk, babbling man on his back while fighting his tipsy brain and reeling gait. In all fairness, he was doing it as if he was just carrying a six-year-old toddler. He still had the energy to keep up with Sae Joo's speed and stories as they walked down the empty marketplace. Only the lanterns from the closed stalls and lamps from every corner were their guides from the harsh cold night.

"Lord Dae Wong, why didn't you just call some nangdos to carry him? We're just a few paces from our barracks," asked Sae Joo.

"They're tired, Your Highness. Besides, they're not even included with our little celebration. It's power abuse," chortled Dae Wong.

"I mean, look at you—you're just as unstable as him. I'm worried about you. It's not like we are ordering them; it's asking them a friendly favor, which doesn't hurt."

"Alright, Prince. You win," surrendered Dae Wong; his mind was not in the right frame to argue like he used to do every council meeting.

Sae Joo turned to the minister and asked, curious about one thing, "Why are you so nice to Shun?"

Dae Wong paused; the alcohol shot from his liver up to his mouth in an off-guard question, "What do you mean, Your Highness?"

"You treat him quite differently from the others like you have some special relationship."

"He's your best friend, Your Highness. Besides, I've grown close to him not only because he was a good warrior but also a good person."

"I couldn't agree more. He's one of the people that I trust so dear. Guess I have to thank Jin Ri for abandoning me in that forest. If it was not for her, I wouldn't have met Shun."

The two continued walking, "Speaking of Jin Ri, Your Highness—what's your plan?"

"I don't know, Lord Dae Wong. I'm actually anxious right now. I don't know how I would feel the moment the results of the council deliberation came out tomorrow."

"Just be prepared, Prince. The King has already approved your marriage. We are only looking for the right candidate as your bride."

Sae Joo's steps became heavier as smoky cold air escaped from his dry lips. The selection of his bride troubled him more than the marriage per se. He had a strong gut feeling that it would be Jin Ri, his blood cousin. Horrible, dreadful, terrifying! Just an association with their dirty bloodline scythed Sae Joo's flesh, down to his bones. What more if he was married to their family? He would certainly die—physically, emotionally, or both.

A few more unnoticed paces passed, and they had reached the Yellow Tigers barracks. Thank Heavens, Hwarangdo Jun Pyeong was still outside, practicing his swordsmanship skills with the wooden cross poles. Sae Joo called him, and the hwarangdo opened the gates for them.

"Jun Pyeong-rang, Shun will sleep here tonight."

"Your Highness, have you lifted his suspension already?"

Even though he already had a firm decision about Shun's future as a hwarang, the Prince just pretended like he was still pondering about it. The effort and impeccable skills that Shun had demonstrated during that hell week of fighting off the illegal miners impressed him. He gained more respect for his best friend, not just for being a good follower but for being an exemplary young warrior.

"Not yet. I will announce it to your clan formally if I have.

The hwarangdo bowed and called two of his subordinates. "As you say, Your Highness." the nangdos unclamped Shun from the minister's back, and they carried him inside (they were not carrying a human but a frozen rock—bet even the pealing sound of temple bells would not wake him up).