제 29 부

Later that afternoon, Jae Joong went to his wife's altar, inside the main shrine. He brought a bouquet of fresh white magnolia flowers, which were the former queen's favorite. When he reached the altar, he placed the flowers on the side, and he knelt down on the marble floor. He placed his palms together as he uttered his prayers. "My dear, please take care of us, especially our son, Sae Joo. I know you watch us there from the Heavens. Please help our son become a great ruler and follower. If only you and Sae Yoo were alive, if only we were a normal family..."

When he was about to continue his prayer, he heard footsteps going to his direction. Based on the heaviness of the steps, he recognized it right away. It was Jung Ho, who stood beside him. The Prime Minister crouched and placed also a bouquet of flowers on the side. When he stood, Jae Joong asked him a question, "What are you doing here?"

"Is it a sin to visit our former queen?"

"No. I was just asking a question. Now, you are the one who misunderstands things."

Jung Ho smiled. "I apologize but I have heard your prayers. I know that you still miss your other son."

"Yes. I miss my son, my son whom you had killed." Jae Joong lifted a brow.

"Sire, do you still blame me for your son's death all these years? It was for the best. Look what has happened in our kingdom. We have survived everything. People believe that Prince Sae Joo is their savior. I think it would be best if you just forget about him. It was Sae Yoo's fate to save the kingdom."

"Do not even mention my son's name. It was easy for you to say that because he was not your son."

Jung Ho placed his palms together, closed his eyes and prayed. Chil Yook, it has been fifteen years. I am sure that Sae Yoo is also turning fifteen by now. Just enjoy the prince as your son. When I found you, I will kill you right away, and I will take Sae Yoo from you.

~~•~~

In one of the most remote places in the kingdom of Silla, the province of Myeongju, lay the secluded regions of the Taebaek Mountains. It was the northernmost province of the kingdom, near the border to Balhae. Being mountainous, people had structured their houses in a way to adapt to very skin-tingling temperatures and thin blankets of air. Houses were far from each other, and most of them were made up of thick layers of hays on the roofs and solid, sturdy rocks to support the wooden frameworks of the house. Farming was also a bit different. The steep parts of the mountains were crafted majestically into small terraces. Crystal-clear waterfalls from the mountains provided water source to the thirsty soil and crops.

Living in the region was simply basic compared to the grand and extravagant lives in Seorabeol. Residents were dependent on farming, with the help of their farm animals. Women's role in society was basically for household making—sewing, cooking, and taking care of the family. Everything was simple. The air was fresh and cold. The trees, the grasses, and the crops were always lively green and abundant. The marketplace was also complete with different products to offer, but not as busy and noisy as in the capital. People could actually live in peace with just nature alone. However, on this day, their peace was put into a test. One major problem of the province was their increasing number of migrants from other provinces. Some migrants were good, while some, who were hiding on the deepest parts of the mountains were barbaric, just like this stout, middle-aged man, who disrupted the peace again on the market after stealing some olives.

"Thief! Thief! Someone just stole my precious olives!" a woman seller cried.

People panicked. Some ran away, some closed their stores for a while, while some called some hwarangs for help.