제 58 부

More than two decades had passed since the former palace matron had laid her eyes to the son of her beloved ex-master. To be fair, ever since Jung Min was younger, they have had very minimal interactions because he was sent outside the capital for most of his life. Greetings probably, serving food, or maybe delivering announcements from the Prime Minister. Emotionally speaking, little to even negligible attachments. They never had so many significant memorable conversations even up to Lady Min had left the palace weeks after Lady Seo was fired. Coincidence? Actually, no. At that time, the palace matron who had been serving Jung Ho for more than a decade was aging, nearly sixty. She might had seemed strong and wicked on the outside, but when she would go back to her quarters, that's when the reality of life cycles struck in. Fatigue, blurring visions, even body pains. To top all of those, she had strange episodes of anxiety attacks and restlessness. She could not explain why those things had occurred, but she knew something was wrong.

Jung Ho had noticed that as the days passed by, she did too. Bits of her life was passing by, racing slowly to death. Being the Prime Minister's personal matron was a serious commitment. As long as Jung Ho was awake so was she. She woke up ahead of him and slept later than him. Almost the same routine every day for years.

Even though Jung Ho seemed cold and sarcastic to her, he showed care and compassion. The reason why he let her retire (with a handsome amount of service fee and bonus. Not only that, he also provided her house and a personal nurse to take care of her from time to time). No more connections from the palace, just pure moments with herself in her cozy house. A sweet, priceless solitude momentarily broken when the nobleman came.

"Lord Jung Min, please enter."

He smiled and walked inside. Lady Min led him to a small table near the window. Jung Min then sat as the matron poured him a hot green tea. "Please drink, My Lord."

"Excuse my abrupt coming. Worry not for I'll be quick."

"It will be an honor if I could be of any help, Your Lordship."

With just a measly sip out of courtesy, Jung Min proceeded straight to his concern. "Twenty-three years ago, it was Gukseon Chil Yook who was exiled, right?"

Lady Min was surprised by the random memory lane challenge, but what could she do? She needed to answer accordingly. "Yes. Why did you ask, Lord Jung Min?"

"Tell me something about the former Grand Marshal."

"What exactly do you want to know?"

"That moment still disturbs me. I just want peace and forget that horrible chapter of my life."

"I am sorry that you had to experience that."

"He was a great man, wasn't he? Chil Yook?

Lady Min sucked her teeth, thoughts buffering. What should she answer? Great in what sense? That he was a virtuoso in sword fighting? Her perception of greatness was out of the usual category. Well, maybe she just knew him more deeply than the others.

"Tell me anything about him. May it be his relationship with my father, his work ethic, or maybe anything personal. Surprise me."

"He was one of the best Hwarangs ever lived. His physical prowess was priceless. It was untouchable. But as far as I can remember, leadership was not his main forte. He was more of a follower. He had always followed every order of the Prime Minister, to the point that he even risked his life."

"But he's almost mapped out of history. His name is not even on the Hwarang Shrine. What did he do to deserve that? What exactly was his crime? Could you please tell me? The scriptures in the Royal Library could only do so much."