제 21 부

It was a pleasantly refreshing morning the palace. The scent of the spring wind blew softly, tickling every people's nostrils. Waking up from a deep sleep, Jae Joong seemed like he could not muster enough strength to get up. His legs numbed, and his feet felt like nailed to his bed. When his last memory about the endless-like search for his son and wretched brother bulldozed him, he finally got back to his senses. Wiggling his toes, he tried to move his body. Wearing his white silk night robe, he stood up from his bed and went out of his chambers to confront the Prime Minister. He did not give a single care to the court ladies and palace officials who were whispering at the corners, casting stolen deriding looks at him. Upon striding down the palace grounds, he noticed two young boys, around the age of ten, running. He paused and his eyes followed them.

"Hyungnim, come on! We are going to be late. Our father would be furious."

"Sae Yoo, wait!"

The King's eyes widened in shock upon hearing the name. "What?"

At that moment, he realized that he was in another dimension. He could be dreaming, or worse, he could be dead. It was an act to deceive him, or perhaps to console him: to help him accept the fact that his beloved son was gone.

"What is that?" the boy in a red, royal durumagi cloak scratch his head in annoyance. Based on his actions, he could be the younger brother between the two. 

"Come over here. Our father is already here. Pay your respects," the older brother ordered. His younger brother moved quickly and ran towards his older brother.

Unknowingly, tears flowed down Jae Joong's eyes. It never seemed to cease, like waterfalls filling water into the river. The two boys walked towards him. They fell on their knees, hanging their heads in a bow.

"Father," the two said in unison.

Jae Joong's heart melted upon hearing that word. He crouched down and hugged the two boys tightly. It was one of the best moments of his life. No words could explain how much he wanted to plead for the hands of time to stop ticking. It felt so real, surreal in fact. Letting go, the two boys looked at him with confused faces.

"Why are you crying?" the older of the two said. 

The King wiped his tears as he smiled at them. "It is nothing. I am just extremely happy."

"Me too, Father," the younger brother mumbled.

Jae Joong caressed their faces, staring at them for a couple of seconds, "Sae Joo, Sae Yoo... I know it is you, my sons, my beloved sons. I want to stay here and be with you forever."

The younger brother shook his head. "No, Father. You should come back."

The King shook his head in return. "No, I do not want to." 

Looking straight to his father's gloomy eyes, the younger brother held Jae Joong's hands and pleaded.

"Please save me."

~~•~~

The King's eyelids moved skywards, opening his eyes. His body was motionless. The only thing that motioned was his eyes, which had real tears. They darted around the room, scanning it entirely. He was not dead. It was a dream—a dream he had hoped not to finish. He wanted to stay in that deceitful realm, caring for nothing but his family. However, as he remembered the last words of his son in his dream, he had a new purpose in life: He shall save him at all cost, and make sure that his identity would remain a secret in this lifetime. What was the purpose of being a ruler, protecting the whole kingdom if he could not protect or save his own blood and flesh?