제 36 부

Deok Cheol held the sick man's hand, trying to convince him to stay and just rest. He was worried that something might happen to him, considering that his emotions were heightened at the moment.

"Please calm down, seonsaengnim. You are ill."

The old man shoved his hands and frowned, "I do not care if I am ill or dying. I need to go to the capital and get my son!"

"What if we do not cross paths with Shun? What if the moment we arrived there, he has already arrived here? Please think about it first," pleaded Deok Cheol.

Pounding his chest, Muhyuk insisted that he felt something strange about Shun's entire travel. "I could feel it, Deok Cheol. Something wrong is happening to my son. I cannot just sit in here and wait for him. It is really bothering me so badly!"

The plump boy hugged the old man, tapping his back. "All right, seonsaengnim. I know. Forgive me.

"Thank you, Deok Cheol."

Heavens, please do not let my son step foot in the palace.

The two stood and prepared all of the things they would need for the travel. While ransacking some chest, Muhyuk asked Deol Cheol about certain apparel from the Gokturks. "Deok Cheol, do your parents have this head apparel from the Gokturks—also, this type of cloth which covers the entire face.

"Hmm, oh, you mean a turban? I guess we have one in our house. About the veil, I am not sure but maybe we have those types of clothes there. Why did you ask?"

"I will explain it to you along the way. Could you please get some for me?"

The boy nodded and dashed to his house to search for the things the old man wanted. After a few minutes, Deok Cheol came back with a veil and a turban. Muhyuk quickly wore those as he told the boy to check all their things. When everything had been settled, they left the house and borrowed a horse to one of their neighbors, starting their travel in the cold night.

~~•~~

The next morning, Sae Joo woke up from his deep, cozy sleep—all thanks to Shun's arm and body. Soon after, Shun followed and felt the slow, stinging pain of the cramp on his purplish arm.

"Good morning!" greeted the Prince.

Shun curled his lips and frowned, "Good morning, my butt! My arm hurts, thanks to you!"

Sae Joo grimaced in a pang of slight guilt and embarrassment, "Forgive me."

"Never mind. My arm will be fine in a few minutes," he said, stretching.

"Ah, before I forget, let me return this to you." Shun dove his hand to his pocket and handed the eagle figurine to Sae Joo.

"Oh, Heavens! Thank you very much! I, myself, have even forgotten about this."

Looking at the young boy, Sae Joo noticed his headband, as it flashed a sudden, random memory at his mind. "Err, that headband... where did you get that?"

"Oh, this? It belongs to my father. I found it when I was ransacking down our basement. He has no idea that I have this."

"Is that so? Your headband looks familiar. It has the same design as the palace red hwarangs."

Shun's eyebrows met, acknowledging Sae Joo's assertion. He untied the headband and examined it carefully.

"Look at this! It has been in the chest for many years but its colors are still vibrant. This insignia did not corrode as well," said Shun.

"It must be of high value. I suggest that you keep it hidden instead of flaunting it around. Who knows, someone might have an interest in taking that from you. I am suggesting this for our safety. I will just buy you a headband when we arrive at the capital."