제 72 부

Every soul in the palace could not stop gossiping about the mysterious sender and the ludicrous gift that has rattled everyone. Though some of them had to do it in the quietest chambers, afraid that their tongues might get ripped tomorrow, some people openly discussed it even under broad daylight. Those who had power among others. Those who were fearless to talk about such embarrassing situation because they were entitled and had the power to protect themselves from the rules of defamation.

Jin Ri, arrogant and impatient, stormed inside her brother's chambers and insisted on talking to him about the fuss earlier. The elder brother, who was busy reading scrolls, ignored her but the woman acted as nothing could stop her. She would get what she wanted at any cost. "Orabeoni, answer me. Do you know anything? Have they told you anything?"

Jung Min folded his current scroll and picked up another one, reading as if no one was in front of him.

"Alright. Ignore me all you want. That won't last anyway. Once I become Queen, you won't even afford to talk to me."

The older brother raised his head and frowned. "Why are you so confident that you'll be Queen? How sure are you? Why don't you spend your time with important things? Stop acting like a Crown Princess."

"What is that supposed to mean? Do you think Sae Joo won't be king? Do you still plan to take the throne from him? Quit dreaming! You also have the same dirty fate as him, but he's a Seonggol, so he'll surely inherit the throne."

"What makes you think that I dream to be a Seonggol? You're the one who should slow down dreaming. You're not married yet."

Jin Ri's lips almost disappeared into a thin line, her red fingers trembling. "Are you threatening to me now, Orabeoni? Don't do anything to mess with my wedding. I won't let it slide. Remember that."

"It's funny that you are extremely desperate to get married to him. I thought you despised him that much. Guess it was all for a show. Are you that hungry for power, you disgusting thing?"

"What's wrong with you? I don't understand you anymore. Weren't you the one who hates him the most? You envy him! Now, it sounds like you are taking his side. What—did you have a change of heart? Are you going soft on him now? You're the disgusting one, not me. What a shame, hearing those words from an older brother."

Jung Min stared at her with contempt and turned back to his reading casually. "That marriage will be your death. Don't say I didn't warn you. Don't ever regret your decision... I'm busy. Get out."

Jin Ri raised a brow and glared at her brother before leaving.

~~•~~

Strolling in the courtyard was supposed to be relaxing, freeing someone's mind from stress and problems. But not for Sae Joo. As he appeared to walk calmly under the sun and the chilling wind, his boggled mind kept on thinking about what his father had said. Shun, who was standing beside him, noticed the Prince's bothered, pale face so he cleared his throat and asked, "Are you alright, Your Highness? Is it too cold?"

Sae Joo shortly came back to his senses, surprised with his bodyguard's random question. "What? Oh, no. I'm fine."

"Have you gotten any answers? Do they know who this Sae Yoo is?"

"No. They don't know him." the Prince paused, eyes on the stone patterns below.

"Do you believe them?"

"Honestly... I don't know. My brain says yes, my heart says no. Perhaps that's a maybe."

"What do you want me to do, Your Highness?"