Chapter 46- Nightmares (Ava)

A/N-

Hey everyone! Super sorry that I haven't been able to update until now, I've been revising so much recently. This chapter is a bit longer than usual as well so it took longer to write.

My mocks start tomorrow and go up until the 18th of December so my updates may be slow still for the next few weeks. If anyone else has mocks- good luck to you all!

Hope you enjoy the update, and who's looking forward to Christmas? :)

Chapter 46 (Ava)

The first night after Dumbledore’s death was probably the worst.

I hadn’t expected to have nightmares about it. I was used to seeing the green flash of light, but seeing Dumbledore’s body falling from the top of the Astronomy Tower was something I hadn’t been ready to see again.

I’d woken up to the sounds of my own screams, with Sophia by my side gently shaking my arm. I hadn’t realised that I was still whimpering as Sophia led me out of the common room until she told me to calm down, to lower my voice and take deep breaths.

To my surprise, she took me to Professor McGonagall, who was still awake and up in her office.

She knew almost straight away when she saw my face at her office door why I was there. She rushed forwards, biting down on her lip as if attempting to stop herself from crying.

“Thank you Miss. Peverell,” Professor McGonagall whispered, “You may return to your Common Room.”

Sophia looked surprised as I turned to her and wrapped my arms around her,

“Thank you.”

She didn’t respond to the hug, she just waited for me to let go before nodding to Professor McGonagall and leaving the office.

I waited until she was gone before I spoke, my mouth dry,

“I… Professor, I don’t think I can sleep in the Slytherin Common Room anymore. I don’t-”

I broke off, but Professor McGonagall nodded her head in agreement,

“Perfectly understandable, Miss. Potter. We may have to arrange something else for the next few evenings.”

I nodded and blinked back tears, knowing that within the next week would be Dumbledore’s funeral, followed by the departure of all the students at Hogwarts.

I felt crippling guilt again and had to lean back against the wall, my heart pounding. I could have stopped it.

As if sensing what I was thinking, Professor McGonagall stepped forwards and placed her hand on my shoulder,

“Miss. Potter- Ava…”

She trailed off when she heard the sound of footsteps coming down the corridor. We both looked up in surprise at Harry. He sounded out of breath,