Chapter 18- The Right Thing (Ava)

A/N-

Hey! So, sorry that I've been late updating! If you follow me, you would have seen that I've been staying after school everyday to do Astronomy coursework. This has taken out a lot of my free time so I haven't had time to write.

Also, I just went to go and see The Amazing Spiderman 2- I am emotionally drained. It's amazing, I cried loads and I recommend it to everyone if you've seen the first film.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

Chapter 18  (Ava)

The corridors were busy with students getting ready to leave for the Christmas break. I pushed past them all, keeping my head down. I didn’t want anyone to see me and ask where I was going for Christmas. I hated the look of pity on their faces when they realised poor Ava Potter was spending it alone.

I shook my head and carried on walking through the crowds of students. They were all laughing and chattering to each other, looking like they hardly had a thing to worry about.

I found my way to the library and walked past the desk at the front. The librarian was nowhere to be seen- possibly in her office organising things before the Christmas break.

I noticed a book lying open on a nearby table. It looked like it had been thrown there in a rush as if the reader had realised the time and then run off in a panic.

I stepped towards it and ran my finger down one of the open pages. On it was a sketch of a cabinet that looked vaguely familiar. I didn’t have the faintest clue where I’d seen it but I was sure I had.

I glanced down to read the caption and text below it but I was interrupted as the librarian walked back in,

“Miss. Potter? Shouldn’t you be getting ready to board the Hogwarts Express?”

I shook my head,

“No, I’m staying here this Christmas holidays.”

She stepped forwards,

“Oh, why would that be?”

I pretended not to hear her question and showed her the book on the table,

“Would you like me to return this book? I found it on the table.”

The librarian raised her eyebrow at me before reaching her hand out for the book. I closed it and passed it to her. She shook her head in surprise,

“This book is from the Restricted Section. I don’t remember giving any students access to the Restricted Section today.”

I frowned,

“How strange. Well, like I said, I saw it when I walked in to the library- it was just open on the table.”

The librarian pursed her lips,

“I need to be keeping a closer eye on the Restricted Section and who goes in and out of this library, it seems.”

I sensed that she was slightly irritated and stepped back,

“I’m just going to go to my common room.”

She nodded and I quickly left the library. I had been planning on staying a bit longer, but I didn’t want her suspecting that it was me who’d gone into the Restricted Section without permission.

However, instead of going to the Common Room, I went up to the AstronomyTower. Even though I didn’t go to it as regularly, it was still my place of comfort.

I stood against the railings and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath of fresh air and let the wind blow my hair away from my face.

It was after a moment that I realised that I was standing in the exact place I had stood when Fred had kissed me nearly a year ago. I gulped and thought of the time when I had Fred to share my thoughts with, to help me get away from the constant smirks from Draco, to make me laugh when I was upset.

I missed Fred. I missed him more than anything, and I felt it every time I thought about him. Why had I let him go? Why had I let myself be tricked by Draco Malfoy?

You can still change things before it’s too late, Ava.

I jumped at the sound of my mother’s voice, and my eyes shot open. I looked around for her, even though I knew she wasn’t there. She had done this before.

A sob escaped my mouth and I whispered,

“I’m such an idiot. I am so stupid. Everything is my stupid fault.”

Why would you say that, Ava? Nothing is your fault. Remember, your father and I love you.

I wiped my wet cheeks,

“I miss him. I miss Fred. I made a mistake.”

What matters is that you’re brave, and you do the right thing.

I sighed,

“But what is the right thing?”

No reply came, and I realised that my mother was gone again. I sunk down onto the floor and buried my head in my hands. There had been so much I’d wanted to say to her, but I had wasted my opportunity.

I stayed in the AstronomyTower for a while, wondering how I could make so many mistakes and still not learn from them.

When I finally made my way back down the steps to the corridor, it was fairly empty. A red head skulking down the corridor caught my attention and I picked up the pace so I caught up with the figure,

“Hello Ron.”

He looked up at me,

“Hey Ava. You alright?”

I shrugged,

“I guess so. What about you? Are you off home for Christmas?”

He showed me the scarf he was carrying in his hand,

“Yeah, but I left my scarf in the dormitory so I had to come back and get it. Hermione told me I was too unorganised.”

I laughed,

“Well, we can’t all be Hermione, can we?”

Ron shook his head,

“No we can’t. She’s been acting really strange recently, let me tell you. Ever since we won the Quidditch match against Slytherin…”

I raised an eyebrow,

“Ah, maybe she’s just worried about schoolwork. Don’t hold it against her. Anyway, Ron, I just wanted to say- have a good Christmas.”

He nodded,

“Thanks. You too, Ava.”

I smiled at him and he cleared his throat,

“Well, I better go to the station before the train goes without me. That would probably please Hermione. See you later.”

He waved and started to walk away. I watched him for a moment, and my mother’s words played over in my mind.

What matters is that you’re brave, and you do the right thing.

I gulped,

“Wait, Ron!”

He turned around,

“Yeah?”

I stayed silent for a moment and glanced down at my hands nervously. Ron cleared his throat awkwardly, and I took a deep breath and looked up,

“Tell… tell Fred that I said Merry Christmas, would you? Please?”

Ron froze for the briefest of moments before nodding,

“Yeah. Sure.”

I whispered,

“Thanks.”

He turned away and walked down the corridor, his head down in thought. I watched him and wondered to myself- had I done the right thing?