Chapter 39- Misplaced Trust (Ava)

Chapter 39 (Ava)

I stared at the page of my book, but I couldn’t take anything in. I was sitting outside on the grass with Neville, Hermione, Ron, Harry and Ginny, soaking up the sun which had made its first appearance today.

I couldn’t concentrate on my book because I was so wrapped up in my thoughts.

Draco had been acting strange all week. Ever since the night at the library, he’d been strangely closed off, and he wouldn’t explain why.

That first day after the library incident, I had hardly seen him. Then, when I finally caught sight of him and grabbed onto his arm, pulling him aside to ask him what he’d been doing, he said he’d spent all day at the library writing out his essay. I’d believed him- of course I had, I had no reason not to.

The next day, when we were back to lessons, Draco was fine all day, acting perfectly normal. It wasn’t until just after dinner that he shot off. I assumed that he was perhaps returning his book to the library- I didn’t question it.

I hadn’t started to worry until a few days later. Draco had been particularly cold every time I had tried to speak to him, and the moment we got to the common room, he’d gone straight to bed.

I’d returned to the common room after an hour of attempting to go to sleep, hoping that the warmth of the fire would help me drift into a comfortable sleep. No one else had been in there, so I’d laid down on the sofa with a blanket over the top of me and snuggled into the comfortable cushions.

I was half-asleep when I’d heard the common room door open, and my whole body had frozen.

Draco hadn’t seen me as he’d walked past quickly, and I’d been too sleepy to sit up and call out after him.

What on earth had he been up to at that time of night? Surely the librarian couldn’t have allowed him to stay there that late?

“Ava!”

I gasped, dropping my book on the grass. Harry laughed,

“Good book?”

I picked it up, smiling,

“Absolutely fantastic. Anyway, what were you saying?”

Hermione chipped in,

“Neville asked you when you’re taking your NEWTs.”

I looked up at Neville and grinned,

“In a couple of weeks, I think.”

Ginny frowned,

“But that’s so soon! Do you think you’re ready?”

 I shook my head,

“No way! But all of my teachers seem to think I will be. I don’t know why- it’s not like within the next week I’m suddenly going to learn everything. I feel like I’m nowhere near the end of the courses.”