Chapter 9- Draco's Mission (Ava)

Chapter 9 (Ava)

I stared at the wall behind Professor Snape’s head and sighed. Almost every lesson before this had been practical, but it had been decided that we were going to have a week of purely theory lessons.

I looked around the classroom, wondering if anyone else apart from Hermione was actually paying attention, when I noticed Harry glancing over in my direction. Our eyes met and I raised my eyebrows and looked up at the ceiling to show how bored I was. He cracked a smile and looked over at Hermione before rolling his eyes. She stopped writing for a moment and looked up at both of us with a scowl on her face. I had to turn away to stop myself from giggling out loud.

The bell rang and I started to gather my notes together. Draco waited by the door for a second, but Pansy grabbed his arm and pulled him out into the corridor.

When I finally walked out of the classroom, I noticed Harry, Hermione and Ron walking in front of me. I stayed behind them in silence, listening as Harry laughed at Ron’s jokes. I hadn’t seen him laugh for so long. I’d forgotten what his laugh sounded like.

“Ava! Come on!”

I realised Draco had slowed down to wait for me. Pansy was glaring at me from further down the corridor, but I ignored her and walked towards Draco. He smiled at me,

“Did you enjoy that lesson? I could tell you looked absolutely thrilled by it.”

I groaned,

“Theory lessons are the worst! Professor Snape makes it so much worse with his monotone voice as well.”

He nodded as we turned into the Great Hall,

“The practical lessons are certainly a lot more interesting.”

We sat down at the table and Pansy sat opposite us. I sighed,

“I don’t even know what notes we’re supposed to be making either! It’s so hard to keep track of everything that Snape’s saying. Just as I’m writing one thing, he goes straight onto another.”

Pansy snorted,

“It didn’t look like you were doing much note-taking.”

I frowned,

“What do you mean?”

“I saw you pulling faces with your brother.”

I raised an eyebrow,

“And? Does it matter if I was messing about with him?”

She rolled her eyes,

“Ava, you don’t even talk to him anyway. What’s the point of messing about with him in the lesson if you haven’t spoken to him since before the summer holidays?”

I leant forwards,

“How do you- what?”

Pansy sneered,

“I’m only saying that you don’t act like you’re his sister. You talk to Professor Snape more than your own brother.”

I stood up, trying to hide the my watery eyes as I muttered,

“I think I’ll skip dinner.”

I felt Draco reach out and touch my arm, but ignored it and walked out of the Great Hall.

I walked to the library and sat down at a table near a bookshelf. I recognised it as one I had sat at with Fred and George many times last year, and the tears in my eyes finally started to roll down my cheeks. I sniffed and wiped my wet cheeks with my sleeve.