Chapter 17- Slughorn's Christmas Party (Ava)

Chapter 17 (Ava)

I tugged on the hem of my dress nervously and looked at my reflection. The light pink dress that I had chosen to wear was only simple with straps and a hem that reached just above my knee. I had chosen to leave my hair down because I hadn’t been sure what else to do with it.

I tucked my wand into the concealed pocket at the side of the dress and glanced at the mirror one last time.

I had made an effort for Slughorn’s Christmas party, but I had no one to go with. I had been going to invite Draco, but things had changed. He had changed.

I sighed and turned around, picking up a small package before making my way out of the dormitory. On my way through the common room, Pansy caught sight of me and sneered,

“Off to Slughorn’s party, Potter?”

I nodded,

“Yes. Shame you weren’t invited, Pansy. I was looking forward to us catching up.”

A voice sounded from behind me as a door opened,

“Pansy, I found this Potions textbook. Was it the one you were-”

The voice trailed off. I turned around and realised it belonged to Draco. He stared at me, his mouth open with a hint of surprise. I smoothed my dress down nervously,

“I was just off to Slughorn’s Christmas party.”

Draco finally broke out of his slightly dazed state and his green eyes met mine.

“Ava, you look…”

He appeared to be trying to find the right word when Pansy interrupted,

“The dress is quite simple, in my opinion.”

I turned towards her, my cheeks reddened slightly with anger,

“Thank you for your input, Pansy. Now, I must be on my way. I’ll see you later.”

I smiled shyly at Draco before leaving the Slytherin common room.

As I walked through the corridors, I wondered what Draco would have said if Pansy hadn’t interrupted. Probably something cruel and bitter. I was glad not to have heard it.

I got closer to Professor Slughorn’s office, the sound of music and laughter filled my ears. I walked in and looked around in wonder.

The office had changed since my last Potions lesson. Green, white and gold pieces of material had been draped across the walls and there was an exciting buzz in the room that didn’t usually exist.

Slughorn saw me and grinned,

“Ava! How pleasant to see you! Is your guest just behind you?”