Chapter Thirteen ~ Dusty Shop

“Ginny, we’ve searched all the shops, including Xesca’s and you know that if she doesn’t have anything then we’re never going to find something.” I moaned as we left the last shop empty handed, once again.

“I must have missed something…” She mused as she started speed walking back the way we had just come, turning down an alleyway and disappearing from my view. Since it was only she and I now, since Hermione left about an hour ago to have a butterbeer with Harry and Ron, I took my time in catching up with her. “Ari why are you so slow?” She asked when I finally caught up with her outside a very dusty shop window.

“Surprisingly Gin, not everyone is as enthusiastic as you about shopping.” I said, smirking at her slightly. “What are we doing here?” I asked, trying to peer into the dusty window.

“Dress shopping, come on… I really think that you’ll be pleasantly surprised!” She said, pushing the heavy door open. Of course she would find the grottiest looking shop to take me into, she always did.

“As if we’re going to find a dress in here.” I said doubtfully. Ginny just gave me that evil all-knowing look. Of course she’d think that she was correct, she always does and to be honest… agreeing with her made your life a hell of a lot easier.

“Hello dears, is there anything that I can help you with?” The old witch asked from behind her dusty counter. I examined the dust filled room with doubt and distaste.

“Um yes actually, my friend here is looking for a dress for an evening out with her boyfriend, it needs to be something elegant, classy yet sexy.” Ginny said sweetly to the old woman.

“Ah I see, you two take a seat whilst I look through the back, I think there may be a few pieces there that you may take interest in.” She said before she disappeared behind a black, heavy curtain.

“Where exactly does she expect us to sit?” I whispered harshly at Ginny, who decided to move a stone cat from a dusty seat, brushing it down slightly before she sat down on it.

“Ye of little faith. Think Ari, when have I ever failed you in the department of fashion?” Ginny asked sarcastically, successfully getting me to shut up… for now anyway. “Yeah that’s I thought.” She said, sticking her tongue out at me.

“Here we are dears, you can use the backroom to try them on if you like, no one should bother you through there.” She said, handing several dress covers to Ginny who disappeared through the curtain, me, not wanting to be left alone with the scary woman, followed quickly behind her and nearly ran into a wardrobe on the way.

“Gees, how much clutter does one woman need?” I muttered more to myself than to anyone else around me. Once I finally found Ginny amongst the mess I saw that she had already taken out one of the dresses. “Ginny! You can’t expect me to wear that, I’m going to dinner, not selling my body on the side of the road!” I exclaimed in horror.

“Ari, stop over reacting, it’s not THAT bad. Just try it on, see what it looks like.” She demanded holding the dress out for me to take. I took the dress between the tips of my index fingers and thumbs, being very carful to make minimum contact with the dress as possible.

“Ginny… When have you ever seen me in sequins?” I asked rhetorically, before I disappeared around the corner to try on the ghastly dress. It was a tight boob-tube dress, with gold sequins decorating the whole of the fabric, no doubt making it itchy. The dress only stopped at the top of my thighs, much to my horror, showing way too much skin. Especially in the cleavage department. “Ginny this is not the dress!” I called, and suddenly, her head popped round the corner and had a look at the dress.

“Well… it’s definitely sexy.” She said unsure of what else she could say. Well to be honest, she couldn’t say much else. The dress made me epitomise the idea of sex on legs and I did not like that idea one bit!

“Yeah sexy if you mean I look like I’ve just stepped out of a whorehouse!” I stated angrily, getting ready to throw something. If the rest of the afternoon was going to be like this, I would be in hell quicker than anyone could say Quidditch.

“Well then, into dress two!” She said before disappearing again, only to throw another dress at me, this one slightly better. I happily stripped out of the sequin dress and kicked it to one side that I had now decided would be my ‘discard pile’ before I pulled the new dress on over my head.

The next dress was a plain, three quarter length sleeves, berry red, skater dress that I really liked. Unfortunately Ginny deemed me too casual and apparently I wanted something a bit more ‘flashy’ and ‘attention grabbing’. One would think that this was my first date with George and that he hasn’t seen me with spots, baggy eyes, braces and with no make-up on. I’m sure he’s going to think that I look this glamorous all the time… NOT!

I had been trying on dresses for what felt like hours before I found the perfect dress, and I mean the perfect dress! Why is it, that when I try on dresses it seems to take me the longest time ever and everyone else the matter of minutes? The dress had a long; mesh skirt with a split up one leg, a slash neckline, shoulder pads, gold inserted panels and a low V line back. All in all, I loved it. “What does it look like?” Ginny asked from round the corner, too afraid to come around in case I was still changing.

“Perfection, I will say this… I had my doubts about this shop in the beginning, but you’ve done it again Gin. You’ve found me a winner.” I said, showing the dress off to her with a beaming smile.

“Pair it with some chunky heels and gold accessories, you’ll have George at his knees.” She said, grinning at me smugly. Oh-ho-ho, Georgie boy will have no idea what has just hit him!