Chapter Ten ~ Hey Partner

I angrily stepped up and took the note from the evil, pink, toads clutches before I stormed out of the classroom to go find Professor McGonagall. When we get sent out of a lesson we are supposed to go and report to our head of house about the incident, which is why I found myself in a fifth year transfiguration lesson. When I entered the room my eyes fell immediately onto the famous trio Ron, Hermione and Harry sat front and centre.

“Miss Tonks… Why aren’t you in class? Oh never mind… Please have a seat.” She said to me before she continued on, giving instructions on how to successfully make a rat, snail or a cat vanish. After she had given the students all of their instructions she walked over to where I sat at the back of the classroom. “So… Miss Tonks who sent you out and for what?” She sighed as I handed her the pink note.

“Umbridge.” I growled out, flinching at the harshness displayed in my own voice. I had been in the classroom with that women for about thirty-five minutes and I had already become loathe the woman, whereas it would usually take years to develop what I had done in those minutes.

“Ariella, you’ve got to think about your future in times like this. You know where Dolores Umbridge comes from. Misbehaviour in her lesson could cost you far more than House Points, it could cost you your dream of becoming an auror.” McGonagall said as she signed the pink, floral scented slip.

“But she’s not teaching us anything! She expects us to learn how to become something as great as an auror through theory. We are not using magic at all! And even worse, the book she is teaching us is for beginners. How am I going to learn how to produce a full body patronus from a book aimed for beginners?” I asked.

“Ariella, do you really think this has anything to do with learning magic or not? You have to keep your temper under control. You will have to learn to just keep your head down. Don’t get in her way otherwise it could jeopardize your future.” Professor McGonagall said, sighing in frustration.

“Yes Professor.” I said quietly looking down at my clasped hands in my lap.

“You will serve your detention with Umbridge tonight, now I suggest you go take a walk to calm down before potions this afternoon.” She said before she walked over to Neville Longbottom whose test rat had no tails or ears but everything else was still there. Taking McGonagall’s advice I was walking around the grounds of Hogwarts just enjoying the quiet… Well that was the plan.

“Hey Tonks! If I had a twin brother would you play with both of us?” A sixth year Slytherin asked as he walked past me winking at me. Obviously the whole school was talking about the display this morning.

“Oi Ariella, I spoke to Marissa this afternoon she wants her title back as the Class Whore!” A seventh year Ravenclaw called from the bottom steps leading up to the owlery as I went to send a letter. Ignoring the calls from the boys and the girls I continues on my way to owlery to get some advice from Nymph.

Hey Nymph

I hope everything is going well with you and the order. Things at Hogwarts are not going too well at the moment. Something strange happened today at breakfast. Fred and George started arguing and fighting, which is strange enough in itself, but then Fred kissed me and he knows I’m dating George. And then George gets really angry which is understandable and threatens to kill Fred. I pull George away from Fred and then he says that I am protecting him and stuff and he says we’re finished. Our year has just started and it’s already started badly. I am now really confused and the kiss didn’t help. I love them both, Fred is different and unexpected whilst George is slow and trusting. It has just thrown me right off balance! I really need your help Nymph! What do I do?

Love Ari xx

I quickly folded up the letter and forced it into the small envelope before I called Jannah down from her perch in her warm cubicle that was full of straw to help keep warmth.

“Jannah, take this to Nymphadora Tonks, you know the address.” I cooed softly to the bird before I released her out of the frosted window. I watched her fly off before I quickly ran down the stairs of the owlery and ran up to the castle and made my way down to the dungeons, arriving just on time for my potions lesson with the evil Severus Snape.

“Miss Tonks, I understand that my lesson may not be as exciting and dramatic as your social life but I would greatly appreciate it if you could find a seat and quickly.” Professor Snape snapped before he continued lecturing the already full class. Spying an empty seat near the middle I quickly made my way over and slipped into it, not realising that I had just sat next to one of the people that loved to torment me, Farren Richards. “Now everyone look to your classmate sat beside you and get well acquainted with them because as of today they will be your potions partner… for the rest of the year.” Snape drawled, I turned to Farren in horror and was surprised to see him smiling kindly at me.

“Are you okay?” I asked worryingly, Farren Richards doesn’t smile. He just doesn’t, so to see him smiling kindly at anyone – especially me – struck me as unnerving.

“I’m fine… I was in Defence Against the Dark Arts class with you, I think that the two of us are going to get along just fine this year.” He said grinning at me.

“Miss Tonks, since you are determined to be the star of today can you please inform the rest of the class and myself what are the ingredients for Draught of Peace?” Professor Snape asked as he interrupted Farren and I’s conversation.

“Umm… powdered moonstone, syrup of hellebore, powdered porcupine quills, valerian root and powdered unicorn horn?” I answered unsurely.

“And what colour should the mixture turn if and when brewed correctly?” Snape asked, intent on bombarding me with questions until I got one wrong.

“Ummm… a turquoise blue?” I said, although it came out as a question.

“Correct Miss Tonks. It is refreshing that someone in this class followed my instructions for the holiday and read up on what we will be studying this year. Although I would like to add Miss Tonks, that although you have read ahead it will not stop you from making mistakes so I would suggest listening to me.” Snape said before he continued his introduction to N.E.W.T level potions.