Chapter Four ~ The Order of the Phoenix

“So what is this order that your mum is having kittens about?” I asked as soon as the twins and I entered our room. I sat on my bed, resting my back on the headboard so that I would have some support.

“The Order of the Phoenix is a secret society founded by Professor Dumbledore during the first wizarding war to oppose Voldemort and his Death Eaters.” Fred explained, mirroring my position on his bed.

“The Order disbanded when Lord Voldemort was defeated. Obviously now that he’s back they are needed once more.” George said, sitting on the edge of my bed.

“And their having a meeting downstairs that we can’t hear and we’re just sitting here?” I asked confused as to why the twins weren’t already trying to listen in on a top secret and highly sensitive conversation.

“We were hoping you would say that. George get the ears will ya?” Fred said leaping to his feet and pulling me to mine.

“After all I’m the one who saw Voldemort return! I’m the one who saw Cedric Diggory get killed!” We hear the angry yelling that is coming from the floor below us

“Do you hear that yelling?” George asked looking at all of us.

“It sounds like…” Fred said, straining to hear the raised voice from the floor below.

“Harry!” I said, smiling at the twins. As a trio we decided to have fun and since we had all passed our apparition exam we thought that we would apparate into Ron’s room.

Apparition was the quickest mode of transport for witches and wizards. But it wasn’t all that comfortable. It was like being squeezed through a tube that was around five centimetres in diameter. The good thing is that it only takes seconds.

“Harry. Thought we heard your desist tones.” Fred said as we materialised in between Ron, Hermione and Harry.

“Don’t bottle it up though mate, let it out.” George suggested, placing a hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“Guess who passed their apparition tests?” Ron said to Harry sarcastically.

“With distinction.” George added, as though it was the most important thing in the world – which of course it wasn’t.

“Anyway if you’re done shouting.” Fred said.

“Want to hear something a little more interesting?” George asked before he produced his ear from the back pocket. We walked out of the room and to the stairway banister where George proceeded to lower one end of the extendable ear down to the ground floor. Ginny joins us shortly.

“Hey Ginny.” Harry said, smiling at the youngest Weasley.

“Hi.” She said, blushing slightly.

The ear pricked and turned as we listened to the conversation. Currently Molly and Sirius were arguing about Harry. That is until Snape butted in.

“Snape’s part of the order?” Harry asked confused.

“Git.” Ron spat in detest. He really, really hated the Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry’s potions master and professor. Suddenly the ear picks up a soft meow. And a ginger fur ball, that I am well acquainted with tugs at the ear.

“Croockshanks no!” Hermione whispers to the evil cat with a smashed face.

“Get your bloody cat off of the ear Hermione.” George hisses as the ear screeches as the cat plays with what he believes is his dangling treat. Suddenly the cat pulls and the ear separates from the wire it was hanging on.

“Hermione I hate your cat.” I grumble as we hear the door open and Mrs Weasley calls us down for dinner.

“Well we’ll be eating down in the kitchen tonight!” Mrs Weasley said smiling at us all as we make our way down towards her. Fred and George appear behind her through apparition startling – and angering – her. “Just because you’re allowed to use magic doesn’t mean you have to whip your wands out for everything!” Molly yells as the twins rush down to the kitchen. Ginny and I quickly following after them, with Ron following behind us.

“Hi mum.” Ginny says as she quickly passes her fuming mother who turns her attention to Harry.

“Guys was that really necessary?” I asked as I take my usual seat beside the twins, Ginny sitting beside Nymph.

“It had to be done.” George said, looking up and smiling at me whilst Fred continues to give evil glares to that cat that ate our transmitter.

“Hope you’re all hungry, there’s enough for thirds.” Mrs Weasley said, giving a pointed look to Ron who immediately begins to dig into the glorious spread that was placed on the table.

“Fudge still refuses to believe that Voldemorts back.” I hear Sirius from the other end of the table, everyone going quiet Molly’s chopping of the onions stops so that she can listen as well.

“Why?” Harry asks confused. We’ve all seen the Daily Prophet of Harry being the topic of the front page… ‘The boy who lies’, but they have also been targeting Dumbledore.

“Dumbledore. Fudge is afraid of him. Thinks Dumbledore is going to overthrow him. Take over. Which couldn’t be farther from the truth. Plus, Fudge is flat out scared. Ministry is in no condition right now to handle You Know Who’s return. And I’m afraid Dumbledore is losing his footing at the Ministry.” Kingsley explains to the whole room.

“I want to join!” Harry demands all of the teenagers at the table nod in agreement. If we can help then why not contribute.

“No. Absolutely not!” Molly demands. “He’s just a boy. And only of age wizards can join.” Molly says, thinking that she had just prevented us all from joining.

“That means us three can join then.” Fred said, pointing himself, George and I. Molly looks dumbfounded; she didn’t count on us picking up on that so quickly.

“Fred’s right Molly.” Nymph says from opposite me, sending a wink to the twins and I.

“Well we’ll talk about that at a later date.” Molly says, finishing her chopping and putting down her knife to look at us all. “Everyone off to bed now. Harry’s got his trial tomorrow and you lot are helping me cleaning up.” She said, ushering us up from the table and up the stairs.

The twins and I climbed up the three flights of stairs. As soon as we reached the room I flung myself onto the bed and snuggled into the pillow, only lifting my head when I heard the scraping of iron legs against the wooden floorboards. I saw Fred and George pushing their beds towards mine to make one big bed, just like we had done last summer.

“Now you two, I don’t want any funny business going on. Some people want to sleep you know.” Fred said removing his t-shirt and slipping out of his jeans to be standing in just his boxers and socks. He pulled up the covers and crawled under them, looking at me with a raised eyebrow. “Well…” He says, trailing off.

“Well what?” I asked, confused I had no idea what he was talking about.

“Aren’t you going to get changed?” He asked, looking pointingly at me jean clad legs.

“Oh right yeah…” I said, going to my trunk and picking out my pyjamas before I walked over to the bathroom, got changed and brushed my teeth before I went back into the bedroom.

“I meant that you could get changed here.” Fred said, pouting slightly. I noticed that George was also under the covers, lying on his back with his head rested in his hands.

“Not in your lifetime Freddie.” I said grinning over at him as I crawled up the middle and slipped under the covers. One of George’s hands finding mine under the covers before we all fell into a deep slumber.