Chapter Eleven ~ Detention

That evening after a painfully quiet dinner with me putting a lot of distance between myself and the  - still – bickering twins I made my way up to the new Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts’ office and knocked on the door letting her know I had arrived before I entered the pink decorated office. Umbridge was sat behind her  - pink – desk with a blank piece of parchment and a single red Quill.

“Ah Miss Tonks, right on time. Sit down.” She commands, indicating to a smaller desk at the side of the bright pink desk that she was sat behind. Quickly, so I could get this detention over with, I set my bag down and sat calmly at the desk feeling incredibly out of place in my black robes in a room that was all pink. Umbridge waddled out from behind her desk to place the pink tinted parchment and quill on my desk. “I want you to write ‘I must not talk back to my Professors’ as many times as you see fit.” Umbridge says as I pick up the quill. I go to dip it in an inkpot but I realise there isn’t one.

“You didn’t give me any ink.” I say calmly to her, pointing out an obvious mistake.

“You won’t need any.” She says, smiling at me as I begin writing my first line. It’s not until the fourth line that I feel a burning sensation in my left hand, the hand that I had rested on top of the parchment to stop it sliding around on the newly varnished desk. I look at the hand, searching for the pain. On the back of my hand are the words ‘I must not talk back to my Professors’ cut into my hand in my elegant scripture. The open cut slowly heals to leave my hand red and horrible scarring of the words in my pale skin. I look up shocked at the Professor but I realise that she isn’t paying any attention to me. I write the words twice more before the pain becomes unbearable and I am forced to stop.

“Um, Professor? Is it alright if I finish now?” I ask, handing her the parchment with my left injured hand so she can see the damage and scarring that she’s done to my once flawless skin.

“If you believe you are finished, you may leave.” She said to me, smiling sweetly as she takes the parchment from outstretched hand. As soon as she takes the paper I quickly grab my bag before I bolt out of her office before she can collar me back to write some more lines.

By the time I got back to the common room it was deserted apart from one of the twins sat by the fireplace with his head in his hands. He looked up as soon as I stepped my foot on the wooden floor of the common room, to reveal that it was George.

“Ari.” He says breathlessly as he rushes to his feet and his hands immediately went to being stuffed in his pocket. He looked sick, and his eyes were red and puffy from crying. “I’m sorry… I overreacted, just please take me back.” He pleaded as he took a step closer to me, when he noticed that I was rooted in my spot he continued on his way to stand above me, his hands rubbing up and down my arms. “You not talking to me, not sitting with me… It’s torture.” He groaned.

“What about Fred?” I asked, his twin was half of him I couldn’t bear it if they weren’t speaking and I was the reason that they wouldn’t be, I just couldn’t bear it.

“I spoke to him at dinner, he says he doesn’t know what came over him. Of course I am sure you will get your own apology from him in due time, but we are back to being the usual brothers as ever.” He said smiling at me he reached down to my hands and stopped when he felt the rough surface of my left hand. “What happened to your hand?” He demands as he pulls it up to his face for a closer inspection.

“Detention with Umbridge.” I say quietly as if the words that I speak will knock us out of the good flow of conversation that we were currently engaged in. I watch as his eyes scan the writings on my skin and narrow in anger.

“She was really out of order.” George all but growled in anger and frustration. “Does McGonagall know about any of this…” He asks, in reply I silently shake my head. “Have you told anyone about this?” Again I shake my head. He sighs and breathes out my name, “Ari…” But before he can finish I have stepped out of his reach.

“I should be going to bed now it’s late and I’ve got astronomy in the morning.” I say as I make my over to the stairs leading up to the girl’s dormitories.

“Ari… I know it’s going to take me a long time for me to get our relationship back to what it was. But I will do anything to get you back… absolutely anything.” George says to my back as I numbly make my way up the stairs and to my room.

When I get to my room I see Hermione’s flea ridden cat asleep on my pillow and a beautiful owl sat on the open windows wooden pane. It’s jade green feathers ruffling in the wind as drops the not on the window shelf before flying off. I get closer to the letter to see that it’s addressed to me and is written in my cousin’s clumsy scrawl.

Hey Cous!

The order is fine, at the moment we’re working on how we can recruit more people and convince them that You Know Who is back, but you know how difficult that is. I’m the same as usual, clumsy as hell. Although there has been a change in my life, last week Remus Lupin asked me out to dinner and I said yes. Oh Ari, I’m so giddy! I feel like I did in school when I had a crush on a boy that I liked.

As for you and George, just give him time Hun. He will soon realise his mistake of what he had lost and will probably be on his way back to you quicker than you can say Chocolate Frogs. And well I don’t know what to say about Fred, I did talk to Molly however. And she said that she was shocked that it was George that had won your affections and not Fred. It may seem cousin that you caught the eye of both of the twins, even if you didn’t mean too.

I hope that the rest of the year turns out better for you and I hope to see you at Christmas, we must get some of Mrs Weasley’s cooking in our system.

Love Nymph x