Chapter Nine ~ Defence Against the Dark Arts

After I had finally calmed down I had missed four of my six lessons, luckily Professor McGonagall excused me from them. The only two she wasn’t able to allow me to have off was Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts (DADA), and that was because the teachers were being incredibly difficult. So that is why I found myself walking to corridors of the fourth floor on my way to the lesson with the toad, thankfully this year that lesson was with the Ravenclaws. I slipped into the empty classroom and took a seat in the middle row.

Slowly, as though it was one by one, other students came into the room, saw me sitting there and then started whispering to their friends about the display this morning. I never looked up. Eventually someone chose to sit in the seat next to me, this caused me to lift my head at the person in question and I was thankful to see Alicia Spinet and not some boy trying to make my love life even more difficult.

“Are you alright?” She asked worriedly as she dug into her bag and pulled out my schedule I forgot to retrieve amongst all the drama this morning. I still can’t believe the first day of term and I’ve lost my boyfriend and my best friend.

“I will be fine.” I muttered as I took the parchment and viewed it. Overall it seemed okay. I had no double periods, which was good, and I had finally managed to get rid of divination. A subject that I loathed, even though I had the ‘gift’ of visions.

“That’s not what I asked and you know that.” She said lowly before falling quiet as the woman at the front of the room, dressed in all pink, coughed obnoxiously to get our attention.

“Well, good afternoon class.” She said brightly, no one answered. Not even the goody two shoes Ravenclaws. We all just sat there staring at the strange woman that had infiltrated our castle, our home. “Well, that won’t do. Let’s try again. Good afternoon class.” She said, treating us like we were infants. The class mumbled a quiet good afternoon, which seemed to satisfy her.

“Bet you she doesn’t last the whole year.” Alicia whispered to me over the low mumbles.

“Much better. I’ve been going over your history and it seems your class has been disrupted and fragmented. With the changing of teachers every year, you are far below the Ministry standards. As you all know, I’m sure, your N.E.W.T’s are this year. They determine your future, and since you are all leaving school after this year it is my suggestion that you take them seriously. I’d like you to open your book to page five ‘Basic for Beginners.’ There will be no need for talk.” The toad said, waving her wand at the books, which had now started being distributed. Slightly confused I raised my hand. “Yes, miss…”

“Tonks. Professor, you can’t honestly expect us to learn beginner spells. These books are more suited for first years not seventh years. We need to be prepared for what’s out there not learning about the dangers of it. I am pretty sure we are well aware if we cast incendio at someone they will get burnt.” I said hotly, earning me a few sniggers from around the class.

“Ah yes. I thought from your display this morning you would be trouble. These books are suitable for all years and all years will be studying from them. You will not need to be prepared, what will want to attack you?” She said calmly, laughing at the prospect.

“Well as you said Professor…” I all but growled out. “All of us are leaving after this year, and I believe a few of us are planning on becoming an Auror like myself and for that, I do believe, we need to know how to defend ourselves. Isn’t that the point of Defence Against the Dark Arts?” I asked sarcastically, the classroom quiet.

“I do not think Miss Tonks that you are qualified to know what the point of my lesson is. And I can assure you that if that is your idea of what an auror is and does you will be severely disappointed, that is… if you make it that far.” She sneered at me.

“So we’re not learning magic?” I heard George ask from the back of the classroom.

“Students will raise their hands if they wish to talk in my class Mr Weasley.” She yelled, causing us all to flinch. Alicia raises her hand and waits for Umbridge to call on her.

“How will we know if the defensive spells work if we never practice them?” She asked calmly, unlike George and I.

“You will be learning the spells in a risk free environment. It’s not my place to criticize the way this school is run… yet. But in the past there have been very irresponsible wizards giving you instructions in this class. I assure you that all ends today. As long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason why any of you should not be able to perform the spells under a controlled examination.” She said, as if that would solve anything.

“That’s bulls*it!” I growled angrily, standing up so that I was now taller than the plump woman. “In the real world we are not going to be under a controlled examination environment. In the real world things are not going to be risk free!” I yelled at her expressing the anger of the whole entire class.

“What did I say about your hand, Miss Tonks? This is school, not the real world. Who are you expecting to jump out of the bushes and attack you?” She asked, laughing as though she had just made a very humorous joke. Unfortunately for her, we weren’t laughing.

“Oh I don’t know… How about Death Eaters, how about Lord Voldemort!” I yelled at her, slamming my hands down on the table in front of me. A few students gasp at the sound of his name, but other then that everything is quiet.

“Ten points. Miss Tonks. Now let me make this very clear: You have been told a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead. Let me assure you this is a lie!” She said angrily.

“So Cedric Diggory just dropped dead on his own? Harry Potter is lying and I wasn’t attacked at the Qudditch World Cup by Death Eaters then?” I asked sarcastically.

“Mr Diggory’s death was a tragic accident. And Mr Potter is facing his punishment for his lies.” She said before she turned back to the front.

“An accident called Avada freaking Kadavra! And Harry isn’t the one lying you are!” I yelled at her back.

“Detention Miss Tonks with me tonight, for excessive amount of back chat and disrespect to your superior.” She said hotly, handing me a note. “Now get out of my classroom.” She demanded, eagerly I grabbed my bag and my wand and stormed out of the classroom, but not before I waved my wand causing all of her precious books to fly onto the stone floor of the classroom.