Chaos at Cafe Dulcis

Kaya had to admit, when Jade finished with her, she felt ten times prettier than usual. 

Noel turned her nose up at the new outfit, but she didn't say anything. Besides, as long as Kaya worked properly, Noel had no reason to belittle her. Noel may be selfish, but she wasn't petty. 

The cafe buzzed with customers. More than usual. Kaya didn't like the large crowd, but she would force herself to deal with it. 

Thank God that Jade had the foresight to tuck Kaya's hair up into some fancy ponytail. The amount of people sitting around made the air feel too humid. 

"Kaya!" Noel called from behind the counter. "Phone!" 

Kaya jogged to Noel's side and accepted the phone with an incline of her head. "Hello, Cafe Dulcis. Kaya speaking." 

"Kaya. This is Tobin Crestley. I'm so glad I caught you. I have an urgent request." 

"Oh, Mr. Crestley. Of course, what is it?" 

"You can call me Tobin, like you did before." Tobin cleared his throat. "Can you have one of your savory desserts ready in an hour?" 

"Um... sure..." Kaya rolled her lips together. "May I ask why?" 

"I'll come pick it up, then. Be ready." 

Kaya didn't have time to answer. Tobin hung up immediately. 

Well, no use trying to cover anything up. Kaya tightened her apron strings. "Noel, I'm borrowing the kitchen! Tobin called in an order." 

"Whatever." Noel scooped up a tray of cupcakes. "Be careful!" 

"Why wouldn't I be?" Kaya winced at the snarky words that slipped out of her mouth. She didn't mean to say them, but stress lowered her natural filter. 

Kaya wracked her brain, trying to think what she could make in less than an hour. Anything sweet was off limits. That left only a few options. She grabbed the flour and a few other easy ingredients. At least she only needed a few perfect outcomes. 

Kaya whipped together what she hoped would taste right and threw it in the oven. Just in time for Lina to come flying through the kitchen doors. 

"Oh my gosh,  you're actually wearing it."

"Noel let you back here?" Kaya questioned. 

Lina shrugged. "Doesn't matter. There are more important things at hand!"

"More important?" 

"Yeah, haven't you seen the tabloids today?" 

Kaya twirled a finger in the end of her ponytail. "I don't read the tabloids. Like, ever." 

"That explains how you're so calm." Lina sidled around a counter and tapped a finger against her phone a few times. "You wanna see?" 

"Kaya, Tobin's here!" Noel called through the doors. 

"Oh no, he's early." Kaya pressed her palms together. "Lina, I am begging you to behave just this once. He is a very important client and my job hinges on his company's happiness." 

"Seriously? That seems harsh-"

"Just stay here and be quiet." Kaya raced for the kitchen door. 

Tobin stepped into her path. "How is it coming?" 

"It'll be done in about ten minutes. Can you wait?" 

"Of course." Tobin's smile seemed tense, but Kaya didn't have time to think about that. 

Ten minutes never felt so long. Lina hounded her the whole time to take a look at some tabloid. Tobin kept glancing at his watch. Kaya knew because she could see him through the open kitchen door. 

In the end, Kaya packaged three hot, bacon-cheddar scones in a to-go bag. She ran it out to Tobin. "Here." 

"Good work. Come with me." Tobin snagged the go-bag in one hand and Kaya's wrist in the other. 

Kaya glanced behind her to Lina and Noel. "What's... going on?" 

"No time for questions. It's better if you come with me." Tobin gently tugged Kaya toward the exit with him. 

Of course, Kaya noticed the crowd as they passed them. She noticed the line outside the cafe. She noticed everything. But none of it made sense. Yet. Tobin would explain. Wouldn't he?