Time with Tobin

It might have been the way that Kaya scurried into Tobin's space. Or, it might have been the worried expression on her face. Either way, as soon as she sat down, Tobin ended his phone call and swiveled to face her. 

"Is something wrong?" 

"Not particularly." Kaya logged onto the computer and reached for her notes. 

"Are you sure?" 

"I'm here to type up the minutes from yesterday's meeting." Better to change the subject than keep denying the truth. 

Tobin tilted his head, eyes narrowed, to study her. "That doesn't answer what I asked." 

Kaya shrugged her shoulders. She hadn't been trying to answer him. Ransom already pushed all her buttons, she didn't need Tobin to get involved, too. 

"Is something the matter?" Tobin asked. 

Kaya shook her head. Mostly true. She felt much better after her argument with Ransom. Now that they had cleared the air, she could move on to the things she should do. 

Like finish her assigned task. 

Tobin sighed. "How did the meeting go yesterday?" 

"It went well, as far as I could tell." 

"As far as you could tell? Weren't you paying attention?"

"Yes, but I'm a baker, not a businesswoman." Kaya attempted a small, humored smile. "I wrote down as much as I could so that you have context. Delete what's unnecessary." 

Tobin stared for a minute longer before he turned back to his own computer. 

Kaya relished the silence, broken only by the clacking of keys and an occasional phone ringing somewhere down the hall. 

Tobin didn't say a word until Kaya removed her hands from the keyboard. 

Then, he stopped his own work. "Whatever you and CEO Lee discussed, I hope it went well." 

"It did, thank you." 

"And if you ever need anything, you should know that both CEO Lee and I are available at any time." 

Okay, that was new. Tobin hadn't extended much more than a helping hand before. Now, he wanted to tell her that she could call on both him and Ransom at any given moment?

"Why are you suddenly being so nice?" 

Tobin laughed softly. This time, it was his turn to shrug. "I have my reasons. Just remember, you have my number and CEO Lee's number. Use them." 

Ransom had given her his number? Kaya didn't remember that. She distinctly remembered calling Tobin before because she didn't have Ransom's number in her phone. When did that change? 

"I... I don't think..." 

Tobin laughed again. "You haven't looked, have you? Tell me, what do you think CEO Lee did first when he purchased a new phone for you?" 

He wouldn't have... 

Kaya scrambled to find her phone. Ransom had admitted to liking her, why wouldn't he do something like Tobin implied? Though... It didn't make sense that he hadn't told her. If he liked her, shouldn't he have made a big deal about it? Zoren would have. 

A quick scroll through her meager contacts produced only one number that Kaya hadn't entered herself. Thankfully, he simply labeled it Ransom Lee instead of something odd and obscure. 

"When... Why did he...?" Kaya looked to Tobin for an explanation. 

Tobin shrugged his shoulders, his face the perfect picture of good-nature. "I wouldn't have the answer to that. I think, perhaps, you and CEO Lee need to have a few more chats. You don't know the half of things." 

His comment only left Kaya wondering.