To Crack a Stone

Jade tapped her fingers against the moist face mask. Finally. A whole evening all to herself. A time where she could just be

The internal phone line, the one that connected her apartment to the security desk, trilled on its hook. 

"Why now?!" Jade yelled at the device. She immediately returned to her relaxed state. "Don't frown, don't frown. If you frown, you'll get wrinkles. This whole treatment will be moot." 

It trilled again. 

Jade shot to her feet and ripped the mask off her face. Who in the world wanted so desperately to ruin her me-time? "So help me, if this isn't important..."

Marching to the wall, Jade took a breath before she pressed the speaker button. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, ma'am. You have a guest." 

"Who is it?" 

"Well... it's, uh... it's Kestrel Knox." 

"Kestrel Knox?" Jade closed her eyes in an attempt to center her psyche. Of all the times for someone to come to her door... of all the people to come to her door... why did it have to be that infernal moron? "Tell him to go away." 

"Let me talk." 

Jade rolled her lips together, willing herself to not give in to the anger that the new voice incited. 

"Hello, beautiful," Kestrel's voice came over the line again. "We need to have a chat. Would you let me up? Or should I make a scene down here in public? You know I'm an excellent actor." 

Ugh, this idiot! Jade raised her fist at the intercom as if Kestrel could see the threat. 

Faced with this dilemma, Jade had only one option. She couldn't let Kestrel up. It wouldn't be taken well if the tabloids happened to be sitting on her house and got pictures. She also couldn't let him make a scene in the lobby. That would get messy far too quickly. 

So, Jade made an executive decision. She hung up the intercom. 

Let him fret for a few minutes. Perhaps then, he'd be more reasonable. 

So much for me-time. Jade figured she could kiss her evening relaxation goodbye. 

She snatched her phone from the counter and stormed out the door. This had better be good. So help her, if Kestrel called her out just to flirt, she would deck him. Never mind what the reporters thought. Jade may seem poised on the outside, but Kestrel had pushed her last limit. 

Taking the elevator offered a few blissful moments of reprieve, but Jade was sure to have her persona perfectly in place before the doors opened. 

At the sound of the elevator's ding, Kestrel looked up from his place beside the security desk. 

Jade lifted her chin and stepped into the lobby, prepared to fight. 

Kestrel stopped leaning against the desk to stand to his full height. 

Jade came to a stop in front of him. "What do you want?" 

Instead of the plucky, flirty reply that she expected, Kestrel took a step back. 

"Well, what is it?" Jade tried to keep up her animosity, but his docile stance and the softness on his features made it difficult. 

Kestrel bowed his head. "I can't believe I'm here for this." 

"For what?" Jade folded her arms. 

Kestrel sighed. "Stop talking and hear me out. I'll be brief. I like you. Really, genuinely have feelings. Don't argue. I don't expect you to reciprocate them. I know I've been labeled as... less than moral, in the past. I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to you. Just say the word, but please stop disrespecting the sincerity of my feelings." 

Okay. Completely not what Jade had expected from him. How did he always manage to flip a situation on its head? What was she supposed to say to that? It came too suddenly and bluntly. 

The phone in her hand vibrated. 

Jade glanced at the caller ID and answered. "Lina." 

"Kaya thinks someone broke into her house. She seems very scared." 

"I'll be over in ten minutes." Jade hung up. 

How dare someone try to scare Kaya, the innocent angel! Jade didn't stand for injustice. She had never stood for injustice, not since the very moment this all began. 

"Is something wrong?" Kestrel ventured to ask. 

Jade glanced up. Perfect. She wouldn't even have to call her manager or a cab. "If you really want to make it up to me, start by driving me somewhere." 

"All I need is an address."