A Little Research

Ransom sailed into the kitchens at an all-too-early 10AM on Monday morning. 

Kaya had long ago given up on trying to predict Ransom's moods and actions. It no longer surprised her when he showed up unannounced. That's just how Ransom was. 

Ransom stopped beside Kaya's station and reached out to take her hand in his. 

Click, went Alicia's camera from somewhere on the other side of the kitchen. Really. How did that girl manage to pull out the camera so quickly?

Kaya stopped everything to look up at Ransom. "What's wrong?" 

"Come with me." 

He needed to say no more. His tone, alone, allowed Kaya to understand that something had happened. Something big. Ransom only used such a dead-pan, emotionless tone when he needed to keep himself under strict control. 

Thus, Kaya followed him wordlessly. When he was ready to tell her, he would. 

Ransom led Kaya all the way up to his office, Lawrence hot on their heels. Did Jacob's brother know something that Ransom didn't tell Kaya? 

"Is everything okay?" Kaya gave a tug at Ransom's hand as if that would spur him to speak. 

Ransom squeezed Kaya's fingers in return. 

So, he didn't want to tell her yet. Kaya sighed and leaned her head against his shoulder. The sooner he told her, the better for everyone. Kaya didn't like being kept in the dark. 

Only after he had shut the office door did Ransom open his mouth to speak. "My uncle sent me some research he's done." 

"What kind of research?" Kaya's heart beat in a fluttery pit-a-pat, half hope and half trepidation. 

Ransom smiled wryly. "It's all good, but it's a little disconcerting. Are you sure you want to see?" 

Kaya nodded. Of course she wanted to know. If Ransom's uncle had sent him research, it could only contain information on one person: Richard Aberdeen. Kaya wanted to know as much as she could about his illegalities. She wanted him behind bars as soon as possible. 

"Alright." Ransom released Kaya's hand so he could take a seat behind his desk. 

Kaya followed him, coming to a stop by his side. 

Ransom produced a thumb drive and opened the file on it. 

Kaya stared at the screen, but she had never been good with numbers. "What is this?" 

"This part," Ransom circled his cursor around the page, "is evidence of bribery. This," the next page, "is a list of police stations in which Richard has moles and accomplices." 

Kaya sighed, both in relief and frustration. "It isn't enough. Those charges won't go anywhere." 

"This last page is evidence of his affair with your mother." Ransom released the mouse so he could turn to face Kaya. Gently, he took both her hands in his. "If you don't want this part made public, I can omit it from the plan." 

Kaya weighed her options. Her mother might have died at this man's hands. She could have suffered grave ills and wrongs. Omitting that from Richard's charges would be an injustice. 

"I don't mind what people say about me anymore. You know the truth." 

Ransom lifted Kaya's hands to his lips. "What did I ever do to deserve you?" 

Kaya shrugged. She didn't know. All she knew was that she had never deserved a man as kind and gentle as Ransom. Yet, here they stood, together.