The New Client

Kaya knew the voice well, but she didn't expect to find him in such a state. 

She turned, aware of the anger and resentment radiating between the two men. What she saw left her speechless. 

Zoren grinned at Kaya, as if he knew he would befuddle her before she even saw him. 

As unkempt as Ransom appeared this morning, Zoren had dressed to the nines. A navy suit, a red tie, and a pin-striped shirt. All must have been tailored to him, as they fit perfectly. Zoren had even done his hair nicely. 

Kaya blinked as if that might wake her up from this weird dream. 

Ransom rested a hand on Kaya's shoulder. "What are you doing here?" 

"Didn't we have an appointment?" Zoren sauntered into the room. 

"Not for another half hour." 

"I like to be early." Zoren shrugged a shoulder. "Isn't the client always right?" 

"Client?" Kaya looked up at Ransom. What happened? When did Zoren become a client? Why was he dressed like that? 

Ransom nodded once. 

"Didn't he tell you?" Zoren lifted his chin. "The media caught wind of me because of... some things. I'm famous, you know. So I need a PR firm to handle my affairs. Lina assures me this one is the best." 

So... Zoren would work with the firm now? Did that mean he would show up at unexpected times? 

Kaya held back a groan. How did she end up like this? Why was Zoren so upset? It wasn't like they had actually been dating.

"Just because you're a client, it does not mean you can storm into my office." Ransom gently moved Kaya to his other side so he could take a step toward Zoren. "If this is how you begin our working relationship, I will have to protest our collaboration." 

"But did I really do anything wrong?" 

This time, Ransom lifted his chin defiantly. "Alright. Let's discuss it. Have a seat and wait a moment." 

Zoren flopped onto a chair and rested his arms on the chair's arms. 

Ransom sighed and turned to face Kaya. "Apologies. We'll continue this later." His fingers lifted as if to brush against her cheek, then fell back to his side. "Are you doing well so far today?" 

Kaya didn't have to be a genius to know why Ransom asked such a thing. She wrinkled her nose in disgust. "She's annoying." 

"Bear with a bit. If you need a break, stay with Tobin until I've completed my morning tasks." Ransom carefully patted a hand against her arm. "We'll talk after I've finished business." 

Kaya didn't miss the way he shot Zoren another glare. As if Zoren interrupted every plan Ransom had for the day. 

Zoren smiled widely.

Kaya refrained from rolling her eyes. Truth was, she had wanted Ransom to finish what he started. Zoren's interruption riled her, too. 

Oh, no. No, I'm not... but the truth was, Kaya knew better. 

Despite her efforts, Kaya found herself pulled into Ransom's gravitational vortex. And she didn't mind it. In fact, she liked it. Liked him. 

Though Kaya knew that liking someone was the most dangerous thing in the world, she couldn't help but fall deeper and deeper toward Ransom. She might be in too far now to back out. 

It frightened her, but above all else, Kaya wanted to allow herself to love. Just for him. Just this once.