Flashback (pt. 2)

As it turned out, Ransom's uncle had rented a nice, three-bedroom home at the edge of the little town. It's where they dropped their things and settled in. 

Ransom's uncle pulled out a manila folder. A sure sign that he was about to let Ransom in on the secret. 

Ransom pulled out a chair at the table and sat down. Truth be told, he liked the thrill of investigating. He had always liked the thrill, ever since his uncle invited him out the first time at the beginning of high school. 

One by one, his uncle spread pictures and documents across the table. 

Ransom vibrated with curiosity, but he let it play out in a timely fashion. 

His uncle selected a picture from the stack and held it out toward Ransom. "This is the guy. Richard Aberdeen."

"Aberdeen?" Ransom snatched the picture to be sure he heard the name correctly. "I've heard of him. He's on the fast track to be an assemblyman, right?" 

"That's the one." 

"But... he's clean, isn't he? No one found any dirt on him. He's clean as a whistle." 

"That's what he wants us to think. I don't believe anyone is that innocent. Not even a parking ticket? Suspicious." 

Ransom would admit that his uncle had a point. He just didn't see where this whole story was going. "You're not trying to find something that's not there, right?" 

His uncle shrugged. "Guess we'll find out. I've got his financials and family history. On the surface, everything looks good, but it still seems fishy to me." 

Ransom would admit that his uncle had good instincts. If he said something felt off, it probably had some meat behind it. "Okay. What do you need me to do?" 

"Keep me in check. Make sure I'm not crossing lines. I won't sacrifice good journalism in the name of sensationalism." 

"Done. I'll hang around you, then." 

"Thanks, Ransom." His uncle patted his shoulder. "I have a meeting with this woman at some bakery tomorrow morning. Bring Jade and have breakfast." 

"Oh, I see your real plan now. I'm here to babysit her, aren't I?" 

"You know she has a tendency to run roughshod all over the place. Just keep an eye on her. For everyone's sanity." 

Ransom couldn't fault his uncle for wanting someone to look after Jade. She had a way of getting into trouble, and if left unattended she wouldn't be able to get back out of it. Thus, Ransom would play the double-agent, keeping his eyes on both Jade and his uncle. A mediator of sorts, for all situations. 

As far as jobs went, he could do worse. At the very least, he would get breakfast out of it. A nice breakfast, if the bakery were any good. 

He would need coffee to keep up with his younger cousin. 

"What time?" 

"My meeting is at eight. Be there around the same time." 

Ransom agreed with a nod and rose from the chair. "I'll go sleep, then." 

"I'll tell Jade not to disrupt you until morning."